BUILDER: John Hadley
DATE MANUFACTURED: April 2008
COMMENTS (by John Hadley)
Well here is my first pair of skis and they came out great
despite some movement during lay up. Even though I have a tip spacer that lapped
over the core and wood exposed through the side walls one ski they ski great. I
have had them at the area, on ridge tops, ice, and powder in the trees. I think
the thick QCM Epoxy came to the rescue. This has been crazy fun talking to
everybody and busting out a product. I just broke a second pair of skis out of
the mold and was able to fix my issues in the first ski. I’ll cover them
separately in another post. Dang…. this is soooo cool!
The concept: I wanted a ski that will do everything (for
me). One that is light for the back country that was wider enough to be a good
powder ski, but tough enough for dangerous Ice travel that is often part of
Cascade Conditions. I hate how baughten skis don’t have enough flip tip to keep
them from submarineing in deep powder. I break plenty of trail and wanted a more
pronounced tip that would surface quicker. I also included the twin tip to lift
the tail of the ski off the snow to raise the skin tail fastener off the snow to
decrease wear and wanted to see if it will help skins stay adhered.
The Solution: I created a ski with a powder profile and left off the top
sheet to save weight. I used “Plywood’s” veneer top sheet suggestion. The tips
are really tall and should help with deep breaking conditions. I used my
Rosignal Mega Bangs as a template so I would have a control compare with. I plan
to break snow with one of mine and one of the manufacture’s skis. I don’t know
of any current ski that has a high enough shovel for breaking powder while
climbing. To create an all condition ski I have made the tips 2 mm and the tails
3mm with an 11 mm platform.
The art is done with Paint Pens which can be purchased at art
Ridge top ice travel is hard on skis and I have had two days of
scissor of epoxy and wood veneer. They seem to be holding up well and the wear
is slowing as they are getting shaped.
They ski great in powder and Ice. I think the thicker tail has a
lot to do with it. I have a pair of hammer head bindings I think. They are
adjusting from size 9 to 13 in a few turns. That is really great for letting
others try them.
What I plan to do different next time:
I will use locator pin next time to keep the cores exactly in
place. I now have the plastic “stand offs” that I will use.
I had problems with leaking in my mold since I used a vaccum
system. I have made an adjustable camber and length system. A little fine tuning
is in order.
I owe a great deal to the members of
SkiBuilders.com. Thank you VERY MUCH!
These skis have been made in a high school class and my students
are beginning to build their own. I have been teaching for 18 years now and I
know how these kind of experiences affect students. Whether you know it or not
you are helping kids become inventive builders. Some of these kids will have
completely different futures because of this experience. One student plans to do
his senior project on ski building. I have made a ski builder tee shirt the
prize for the first kid that completes their ride. I thought you should know …