04.05.09 Rose Knob

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

04.05.09 Rose Knob

Post by bigKam »

Allyson, Ben, Gary, Mo (Gary's best friend) and I skied Rose Knob on Sunday. Beautiful weather and great snow conditions. We did the car-shuttle thing by leaving a car at a pull-out near Galena Creek (7400') off of Mt. Rose Highway, then drove up the road and started skinning at 8600', just below Mt. Rose Summit. Climbed about a grand and skied a fantastic north slope from a point at 9600'. The snow was powdery, with a few turns from the previous day's traffic, but we each found nice untracked snow to make turns. The snow was actually light! At the base of the slope we attached skins for the climb to Rose Knob, 10,400'. I enjoyed the climb very much because I needed to stretch my lazy lungs from lack of good exercise this year. Most of this season's skiing has been riding the local lifts. At the top of Knob we enjoyed lunch behind a big rock with views of the local peaks. The wind felt a bit chilly. We skied a south slope from the knob and it was fantastic corn! A few minutes of bush-whacking along the creek took us to our parked vehicle.

I was the only one skiing on home-builts, my favorite Project Pallets. So far they've held up pretty well. A few core-shots here and there; some scratches on the top; delams; but nothing serious. I will have a new batch soon, trying some different ideas....

Some photos:

Point 9600' where we made our first run is the left peak in the foreground. We skied the line that falls slightly to the left and behind the trees to the left of Gary.
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Nice shots. It looks like Mo wins the prize for the biggest grin.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake