Section8 - 3rd pair

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Section8 - 3rd pair

Post by skidesmond »

Finished up the skis over the weekend. Got the skis good and sharp, conditioned the bases and hot waxed. Wednesday nights is our race league night so I brought them up to try out. They skied excellent. First couple of runs were cautious, then I started leaning on 'em a bit. They held really well, carved well. Not as snappy as I would like but for an all around ski they are great.

The snow seemed a bit slow/softer at first. Wasn't sure if it was the skis or the conditions. I alternated runs between my commercial skis and the Section8 skis. After talking to a few of the other racers we agreed it was the conditions that seemed a bit slower/softer than last week. Both skis felt about the same as far as speed. So I decided to race with the Section8s.

It was a rush for sure! The skis held the snow and really well. My times were better than last weeks (but so weren't everyone elses... :) ) I can't say that I would have done better on the commercial ski, since they are not a race skis either, fischer amc 79. (maybe I need to start using the Volkl P50s again... hhmmm :? I need racing lessons... ) The skis turned a lot of heads and generated a lot of interest in ski building.

I was trying to compare the first ski I made to these. It was difficult to judge. The skis have different design/shape/cores so they handle differently from each other. The first skis I made used ash for a core, were a little shorter (170cm) and had a shorter turning radius. I think I like the ash better, plus I have a lot of it :D

So the next pair will have the same dimensions as the ski below (172cm 116-72-102) but I'll use ash for the core and see if there's much difference in performance. I'm going to order some figure wood veneer (birds eye maple or quilted maple) for the top sheet and give them a kind of retro look.

Overall it was another great night of skiing and racing! (I should of took some pics of last night..... Oh well.)