OAC8 - first turns..

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

OAC8 - first turns..

Post by OAC »

Argentierè, 16/3 2010. I can say that my skis are now official "Grand montets tested"!
Not to be cocky (i used Google translate) but I'm impressed of my work!
The OAC8 's are just too perfect. I couldn't believe this. But they are stable, "agressive" and fast!
When I first started I would be satisfied if I could just slither down "some" hill. But this! Over my undestanding!
We took some runs on the lower lifts and I was just scared that something would fall off. I don't know what, but the edges, the bindings...but everything was just solid! The turns, the speed everything. The only thing that really couldn't keep up was ME!
Before we went up, we met this guy http://www.ripnwood.com/ and we talked alittle and look at my skis and commented the "aggressive" tail...?..:)

But after a while we decided to go up to Grand Montets and do the big test. What can I say? They are back in the hotel with me in the same condition as we left. Of course I'm not in the same condition.. :)

I will post some pictures later. But my cameraman, Joakim, was to busy with his own skiing to take pictures. I was forced to make him Product manager if he would take any pictures at all. Everything costs theese days... ;)

Last edited by OAC on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

That's exactly how I felt on my first run on my first set of skis.... "Please don't fall apart"! After a few runs they proved they could rip!

Nice job! Have an ice cold beer.
Docta

Post by Docta »

Thats awesome. Ive been following your build. Using products that you have built and created adds a whole new level of enjoyment to sport and recreation.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Thank you guys! I'm enjoying every meter! (almost) My legs are a little bit sore today. Due to my "agressive" tail!..8)
Tomorrow I will team up with Idris and see what he's up to
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Awesome! I can't tell you how jealous I am right now as I look out my window and see the brown yard, no snow..... ugh! I'm hoping to squeeze in 1 more day of skiing up north (Vermont) but.... who knows.

SKI ON!
Drew

Post by Drew »

Skidesmond- My buddy from NJ has been sking in NY all week and says its great.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks Drew. In Western Mass/Pioneer Valley it's mostly gone. I think the Berkshires still has snow/skiing. But my local area is closed. I got a message from Wingworks and he's going to Jimney Peak. I get the snow report from Stowe and skiing looks really good there still. It was in the 60's today.. took the new mountain bike out. Still rather be skiing though!
AKtransplant

SNOW

Post by AKtransplant »

Fellas, hate to be the sh*% in your soup bowl but we have gotten 12' in the past two weeks and it is snowing again today. Come on North!

Sorry to hijack your thread OAC Looks like a fun trip.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I wish I could... I'm looking at 70 degrees right now and it's not even officially spring yet.

OAC - We'll need a full report once you re-cupriate.
Idris

Post by Idris »

A bit of fun today with OAC and Joakim.

We skied the Vraie Vallee version of the Vallee Blanche run.

Happy to of had crampons not just boot skiing on the ridge walk?

It's a bit cold and there are scary lumps of ice overhead - BUT no crowds

They do carve quite well ;)

the scenery was nice, pity about the snow.
OAC

Post by OAC »

As you read, we met with Idris yesterday. He took us out on the glacier, valle blanche! We had an excellent day! The weather, the snow. Although it was a little soft on the bottom. He turned up with a pair of nice homebuilts, two backpacks, equipped with lots of stuff, for us! Thanks again Idris!
It's needles to say that he plays in a higher league than me, both in skiing and skibuilding. He brought a pair of his hemp skis with a nice "sort of" rocker tip. A much better choice than my "super carve". Although they behaved quite well even in this environment. I had better glide than him atleast..;)
He skis thoose runs you see on the left in the picture.While I'm just happy to start skiing down where we heading. FOG style.

It's sad to see how much the glacier has shrinked almost half it size over the last 30 years!

Thank you all for advise, tips and tricks during this project!
Thank you Kim, Kelvin and Kam for a super site! This has been a great time and I will definitely build some more skis! I'm still excited having my own built skis under foot!
I will be checking out for a while ending some other projects that has been put on hold while building skis!
See you later!
Janne