Squaw Serves Up Some Pow For Thanksgiving

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dr. Delam

Squaw Serves Up Some Pow For Thanksgiving

Post by Dr. Delam »

99 inches of new snow at Squaw = perfect recipe for my Soul Surfers. They were everything I hoped they would be.

The first couple days of the storm I was hesitant to take them out because the snow was so light with no base underneath.

But this last day of the storm the wind picked up and provided for a much denser base underneath.

Some video for your viewing pleasure:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLHHr0ZQn0A
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

99 inches? WTF? With no base? Wow.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

sweeeet!
i never had conditions like that. almost zero avalanche risk and powder deeper than your own height. awesome!
OAC

Post by OAC »

You're lucky! I looked like a never ending run on the video :)

I lived in Squaw 83-84 and I know about those snow falls. "Sierra cement" no base needed. But you seemed to had some light snow in the video?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

We're lucky to get 99inches a season! Awesome!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Special!
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Are there any jobs around there ? Do they accept French refugees ? :)
Nice video, can definitely feel the stoke ! Way to do it ?

Keep feeding us with such nice news, here we barely have 10 inches of snow on the ski hills so far...
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

ben_mtl wrote:Are there any jobs around there ? Do they accept French refugees ? :)
Nice video, can definitely feel the stoke ! Way to do it ?

Keep feeding us with such nice news, here we barely have 10 inches of snow on the ski hills so far...
Spent last weekend raking leaves up so it can snow anytime now. :D
SHIF

Epic

Post by SHIF »

Excellent video. Is that Red Dog? You locals have it made. I'm stuck three hours away and chomping at the bit. I'm coming up Friday for sure after watching this.
OAC, that ain't no Sierra cement man, it's cold, dry powder. The entire NW USA is covered, from Seattle to SLC and beyond. It's gonna be an epic season.

-S
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

is that the go ro chesty mount? or is it just helmet?
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

The switch got flipped and we went from mountain biking to skiing the whole mountain in a week. I love it!

The thing about Tahoe storms is that they come in many forms. Of course we are known for Sierra Cement but we get just about all types of snow here.

Earlier in the week if you went into an untracked area you just sunk down up to your waist know matter what you were on whether it was a snowboard or super fat skis. The snow was super light and cold.

Then the blizzard winds came and compacted and buffed everything out nicely. The footage I posted from yesterday I was only sinking in a few inches even though the snow was totally unskied.

Believe it or not, those few runs were from 2:30 to 4:00. People complain that you can't get fresh tracks past 11 at Squaw but you just need to know where to go. Yes SHIF, that was off Red Dog down to the golf course with a short hike back to Far East or Squaw Creek.

ben_mtl, I hear that they are really limiting non-USA employees around here. Unemployment rates are so high in California that they are finally making some changes.

Today was another awesome day. Yes, OAC, the snow was very light. The overnight low last night in the valley was negative 10 F! Skies were bluebird and the upper mountain opened up with a few chairs running. There is still a lot of terrain that hasn't opened because nothing is even set up yet like lift mazes, bamboo, signs, etc.

a.badner, I'm using a Contour 1080 on my helmet. I'll post more video stoke as the season continues.

Sorry if it seems like I am boasting but a week ago all we had was 300 vertical of manmade white ribbon of death. Hopefully our storms will travel on to wherever you may be.

Happy Thanksgiving!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Keep the videos coming. I'm still biking/mtb although it's getting colder. Will try to get out today before I enter a turkey coma.

Happy Thanksgiving.
hafte

Post by hafte »

Wow nice! We got aboput 40" out of that storm (Odgen Utah area). The big blizzard was a bit of a dud but my local opened yesterday for night skiing. It was really nice last night. Like your snow it consolidated over the last day or two and we didn't fall throught to the brush and rocks. We did have to do a bit of stump dodging though. Made fisrt tracks for an hour or so until everyone showed up.

Looks like the Tahoe is off to a nice start. Thats on my list of places to try to get to this year.

Hafte
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Just to update a bit.
Snow today with up to 18" expected by tonight. Snow level to drop below 3000' (Ski area base elevations are about 6000' to give you an idea of how the snow is). I'm currently being patient and waiting until Monday. No crowds and will find plenty of fresh tracks in those "hidden" areas! More snow expected bu thursday.
Worth the long sumer wait!
ra
DR. When I get to Truckee, I'll try to contact you to see your operation.