testride, babe!

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

G-man

Post by G-man »

plywood wrote:
@g-man: i really do mind. i`m going to take you to court. no seriously: of course i don`t mind! in contrary: it`s a honour for me to hear such a laudation of you, thanks a lot.
"Whew", G-man says as he wipes the sweat from his forehead. :)
plywood

Post by plywood »

just passed an awesome 3days-riding-weekend.

on saturday i mounted bindings on the number two twintip for my girlfriend with a setback of 55mm. afterwards we went skiing. fortunately it snowed the night before, so there were about 20-30cm of fresh powder laying around.

but in the morning it was really clouded and foggy, you could hardly see what was coming 3m in front of you. so you were riding nearly blind through the white. white snow, white sky, white everything! it was really sketchy to ride because you nearly lost the orientation and barely noticed how you`re standing on the mountain.

for these reasons on the first run suddenly i recognised that i`m riding switch, don`t ask me how this was possible... then a few meters after this little missfortune i cut down a wooden slope pylon because i had no feeling for the speed and thought i`d get my turn done way in front of the pylon - i was wrong.

but then, after midday the sky got blue and we had the chance to do several first tracks. it was really amazing! also the number 2`s performed well. they came out a bit stiff, that`s the only negative point... but they did well in pow. besides: the shape of the tail is really funny - riding through powder it throws the snow which covers the ski in the air. so you got a little spray in the back wherever you`re riding :D

the only bad thing about these ski is the hardness. when everything was tracked we made a few runs over the rails. there my girlfriend told me that the skis were a bit a pain. somehow if you landed the didn`t damp the impact and carried the hits straight to her legs. i also recognised this on my swallowtails the first few times i was riding, but now it got better...

i don`t know where these bad things come from...maybe because of the stiffness of the skis? or is it caused by bad landing technics? another point could be the bindings: i have a marker and it got some rubber shockpads under it. on the number two we mounted a salomon which has no dampening...

anyone a good idea to prevent these bad hits? any experiences?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
plywood

Post by plywood »

so, after watching the video of snowbird i thought i had to post a video by myself.

spring conditions in snowbird, right? you didn`t even dare to dream about powder? :D

so, sorry guys, pleaso forgive me for posting such pics/videos... but....

as i mentioned a few times before we had a pretty bad start into the season. but somehow there is a higher force which is looking for justice - and that`s why it snowed nearly the whole last week. i was up in my local resort on wednesday and they had about 60-80cm of fresh light pow!

as a proof the pic below: this guy is standing. we had to hike a "short" distance to get to the descent. unfortunately there was no slope as there is normally... so it took us nearly one hour for the distance of maybe 500m (which normally can be ridden in 2min). on the pic we passed about 2/3 of our way, we "just" had to walk over to the pylons you can see in the background ;)

next picture is in the middle of the descent. with normal powder-conditions it`s a really cool run from 1850m down to 1000m over sea - all the way down open space and powderfields (usually also tracked very quick...)
so... he is strapped into his board and standing on it. and the snow still reaches nearly up to the hip!

and two more pics on the run:

so i was riding my swallows which are 146-112-136 at 177cm - and i had real problems staying on top and avoiding tipdives. it was totally insane. i never ever saw anything like this. during normal riding i sank so deep that i had snow over my knees. doing turns i sank even deeper, snow up to hip or even higher.
falling was no option because you could hardly get back on your feet/skis... i once fell and it really wasn`t funny. the tips dived and i fall forward. the binding didn`t releas so my feets stuck on the skis somewhere behind me, snow all around my face, snow everywhere - i could barely breath. so i tried to get up. i tried to push my body up with my hands - but they didn`t grab any hold and just sunk deeper into the snow. somehow i managed to turn on my back, release one binding and got up.

a little illustration what happened when you fall:

so in conclusion: it was really an outstanding day and a totally new experience. but even with my powderboards these conditions were barely rideable. maybe if they were 15cm longer i had something like a chance. so: on "normal" powderdays they work great. but there are some very rare days when there is just too much snow laying around :D
plywood

Post by plywood »

yeh, i thought i`d make a seperate post for the video for reasons of clarity.... seperate story - seperate post.

so, after the huge snowfall last week i was looking forward to the weekend. sadly i couldn`t go skiing on saturday. but on sunday me and my girlfriend planned to go skiing. so she took the #2 twins with her and i the swallows.
conditions had changed and the snow ?seated? (huh, don`t know how to say this...) so the snow carried very well and surfing it was just great. all in all perfect conditions for a few powderturns - fast and fluffy ;)

first you can get a few very short insights to skibuilding. this wasn`t meant as a "how-to"video, but just...for people who have no idea how a ski is built up. and to fill some time because i didn`t filmed long enough for packing the whole 3min with freeriding ;) (well, maybe i`ll do something like a how-to-video once...if i have time)
and then of course you can see the finished product in action: #2 twin, ridden by my girl :D
mattym

Post by mattym »

haha dude you need to finish the new boards!! They will be killing those conditions!!!

Oh and yeh - sick vid as always
plywood

Post by plywood »

time for an other testride, babe!

this summer said to myself "hey, let`s spend all the money you painfully earned during all these stupid summerholidays for the past 4,5,6 years". and so i did:

my girlfriend wanted to study in a language institute to improve her english. maybe you can see now where this lead us...english speaking country...usa, canada...or new zealand...they have winter when we have stinky summer... SO LET`S GO TO NZ!

and so we did. we left the 4th of july and i came back on august 18th. we planed to first travel around the south island and then to hop from one clubfield to the other for the last 2,3 weeks. sadly they had somehow a bad start of their season, comparable to the one we had last winter in europe. it was very cold, but also very dry. there was just very little snow, so that all clubfields (exept one) were closed until 8th of august or so. so we had to chance our plans and traveled a bit more around instead of skiing.
luckily it finally started to dump and so we managed to get a few good days in our last week:

Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

i was riding my evil twins and my girl the #2. as it didn`t had that much snow we really used and abused our skis. my base was surprisingly strong, i just caught some evil scratches, but none of them got through the base. other the base on the #2`s - it got about 3 holes and in 2 areas parts of about 2cm x 6cm got ripped out by rocks. i suppose this base material bonded very weakly to the glass above it...anyway.

my skis performed great. it was the first time i had the opportunity to take them out to real pow - and i can tell you this fellows: rockered skis kick ass and are the next big thing for powder.

so all in all, even if we couldn`t ski that much as we planned, i can highly recommend a trip to NZ. there are so many things to discover: gnarly access roads to ski areas, scenic 45min walks up to some clubfields through beautiful beechforest, the familiar atmosphere in the dayhuts up in the fields, those beasty nutcracker-rope tows.... etc. etc.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

wow.. bee-utiful scenery! Looks like a nice hike too
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
plywood

Post by plywood »

oh yea, it was beautiful. considering the landscape.

if someone is interested: i uploaded some pics http://plywoodphoto.googlepages.com

if you find any mistakes in my english just tell me ;)
plywood

Post by plywood »

time for a little update:

two weeks ago, a good 30cm overnight - even on the slopes. so basically a whole day of powder only. as you can see the weather wasn`t that good, so we had to stay close to the slopes and follow the check marks.

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid= ... 3403&hl=de

i filmed, skiing the gunnars, and my girl skied, still on the number 2 twins - she definately needs longer&fatter boards...
endre

Post by endre »

nice video ply!
I see you got a lot of snow this far. going for a small trip to the alps in the end of january (and then ISPO, Munich)
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

pretty cool.. not bad video considering the conditions!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
plywood

Post by plywood »

yay! i liked the conditions a lot. i mean... skiing wasn`t that fun, because really everything was white and you coulnd`t distinguish between snow and sky - no chance of seeing where you went. the only reference were the pylons that mark the slopes. but from a filming point of view it was great cause the skier looks like lost in the white.

@endre: shoot me a PM as soon as you know where you`re going - maybe we can meet. i`ve got plenty of freetime after the 23.jan. before 23th none at all :( and i`ll keep you updated with the snowconditions
endre

Post by endre »

plywood wrote:yay! i liked the conditions a lot. i mean... skiing wasn`t that fun, because really everything was white and you coulnd`t distinguish between snow and sky - no chance of seeing where you went. the only reference were the pylons that mark the slopes. but from a filming point of view it was great cause the skier looks like lost in the white.

@endre: shoot me a PM as soon as you know where you`re going - maybe we can meet. i`ve got plenty of freetime after the 23.jan. before 23th none at all :( and i`ll keep you updated with the snowconditions
ye man
mark

Post by mark »

Sweet video Plywood, thanks! :D
plywood

Post by plywood »

well well well my friends.
so finally i survived my exams at university and was somehow a little pissed because i missed a really sweet snowfall 2 weeks ago. luckily there was some more to come, and this time i had all the time to track it ;)

i skied the gunnars and remounted the evil twins for my girlfriend (as i started a new project, some bad ass powderboards for me, so she needed some fatter skis too to keep up with me ;) but soon more about this new project) so we hit the resort, this time with fotocamera.

some mellow treecruising
some more treeskiing
total whiteout
treeskiing again
cornice hucking