Looking for information on Hokkaido

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Wheatlpa

Looking for information on Hokkaido

Post by Wheatlpa » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:57 pm

Hi All,

a couple of friends and I are in the early stages of planning a 2 week self guided trip to Hokkaido for 2021. It will all be backcountry days and our plan (for the moment) is to base our selves out of a town/village that is centrally located to several backcountry areas for a week and then moving to a second area for the next week.

I was wondering if there was anyone on here that has had recent experience with backcountry skiing in Hokkaido and if you can offer some advice on towns we may want to stay in and maybe things that went wrong or could have been better. There is a pretty good website with a lot of backcountry information but hearing first hand accounts is always better.

To that end I am going to try and make our group a set of powder skis each for the trip. Should make it even more memorable! Which I will be sharing with the list of course.

Wheatlpa

Re: Looking for information on Hokkaido

Post by Wheatlpa » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:02 am

I have found this great site hokkaidowilds.org that has a lot of great information on ski touring and places to go. I am looking for some insider knowledge on where we must ski and maybe what we should avoid or be aware of.