Aprés Ski for Skis

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

dbtahoe

Aprés Ski for Skis

Post by dbtahoe »

Skiis like drinking too! Cook'n some Fishstix.

Just updated my hotbox with my newly learned SB information on PID's. I went with a ramp/soak type so I could control the duration and cooldown period. One hotbox treatment is comparable to 20 iron waxes. 2-3 cycles, hot scraping and brushing in between, and your skiis will be slicker than cat shit on a linoleum floor.

ImageImage
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

Thats about the summer temp of my shop I think..

Nice looking setup you got there. Now somebody mentioned beer?? lol
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

Dbtahoe, do you have more info on Hotboxing your skis (a link, or just your process?) I have searched here and on TGR, and while I have found lots of discussion on whether or not it is “worth it” I have not found much info on the process of this method of waxing. I am very interested and would love to build a “hot box” as I have a bunch of plywood laying around just looking for a project, and I also need all the help I can get on any traverses back to the resorts.

Thanks
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
dbtahoe

Post by dbtahoe »

I've read those posts. Using just an iron is a less expensive option initially. Were the hotbox starts to payoff is in the speed at which you can attain maximum wax absorption and the cost to do it.

For competitive sports getting new skis going as fast is possible quickly can be the the difference between 1st and 10th. Financially, if I can put a layer of expensive fluorocarbon wax and have it provide the equivelent of 25 iron waxes, that's huge!

I know someone that started waxing, scraping and brushing a pair of skis once a week since last spring for use in 2009. Insane yes, but they'll be the fastest pair of skis on the hill. Just out of the wrapper he will place a ski in a hotbox for over a week, waxing, scraping and brushing in between the 24 hour cycles.

So, for the average recreational skier, the hotbox may be a bit overkill. But if you're hanging out on this BB, you probably aren't the average recreational skier.

Also, I'm a little lazy. So my choice is to stand there and wax with an iron for 20 minutes and then wait for them to cool for a couple of hours, or iron it on, put 'em in the box for 6 hours and scrape in the morning.

Do a google search on 'hotboxing skis' and you will find more info.