Shaping the body.. not the skis

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RoboGeek

Shaping the body.. not the skis

Post by RoboGeek »

Its that time of the year where I get into a mad rush to make sure my body can handle what my mind thinks it can! So I've been pushing extra miles running, stationary bike, core workouts, and since I discovered I had a pretty weak upper body for the flats, I've been working on that too.

Now I'm adding in balance stuff - my fav is wearing my ski boots, and practicing my stance while playing Halo standing up!
Sounds funny, but at first the body is all over the place and my stance is all whacked out. After a few hours it becomes my natural position again and I fall into it without thinking.
Then I play on one leg.. then the other, switching back and forth every few minutes.
It makes the first run of the year feel like I've been skiing for weeks already..

So what are you guys doing for workouts to get ready?
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
plywood

Re: Shaping the body.. not the skis

Post by plywood »

i`m skibuilding for workout ;) pushing a handheld disk saw through nasty ash blocks for upper body, hip and back training, laminating cores and such stuff for arm workout and inflating my hose with a bicycle pump for upper body workout again. :D

no seriously. i built myself an indoboard once for training the balance. then i somehow destroyed my construction and didn`t manage to repair it. so i do nothing for workout.

welll..... nothing is not really true - as the season started surprisingly early i`m gonna ski for body workout ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
hafte

Post by hafte »

Now try the balance thing while playing Halo on an indo board with your ski boots on. Just kidding. :D

I do like the indo board for balance work. I made mine out of 4" ABS pipe a couple of end caps and 3/4" plywood. If you work at it you can accually walk it like a surfboard. I've had some pretty spectacular crashes in the living room doing this. Make sure no one is at either end. I hit my wife one time. She was really unhappy about that. :(

Been doing yoga most mornings again since July and hitting the walking trails here at work several times a week too.

When skiing starts I'll be up there 2-3 days a week and that will be it untill spring. I do plan to keep the yoga going too.

I also switch my chair out at work for a 75cm exersize ball. I was having trouble with my legs hurting every time I stood up. It was making me limp for several step. I saw this idea on another web site and though I would give it a try. It took a couple of weeks to get used to but I get a core work out all day while I type and do computer stuff.

Hafte
Last edited by hafte on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Run on treadmill for 30 minutes while at work. Coaching 7th and 8th grade basketball and try to run the suicides with them, also scrimage too. But the most demanding is running the household of three kids!
rockaukum
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

plywood wrote:i`m skibuilding for workout...
that's funny; i've been doing the same, but trying to bench-press my ski press. so far no luck. not that it weighs too much, but it's just that i can't get a good grip ;).

ok, ok. i've been doing a little running and biking...
plywood

Post by plywood »

after last weekend on skis i have to admit: i really should have done some workout. i nearly died of exhaustion and debilitation in my legs:P
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

it's about that time of the year again...

The lifts start turning in about a week over here in Colorado and I'm excited to get back on the snow...

My brother and I gave up driving around town this past summer, so we have put a few miles on the townie bikes and mountain bikes over the past few months. We've also been climbing at the local climbing gym, trying to keep the whole body fit...

I can never bring myself to do a traditional workout (squats, lunges, etc.) so hopefully the first few days on snow build up the ski legs again.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

we will be rebuilding our press for a workout ;).
other than that, the water still tolerable so I will surf some more in a week or so. I just had surgery to remove a cyst from my tailbone so i have to let that heal more. That alone will have me in better shape than I was last year.

I usually just do nothing, and just do cruiser runs my first few times out, next time i'll find a jump or rail to hike. that pretty much shocks the body and gets me into it again.
Doug
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

well, a year later and I'm in much better shape for the season already. Working with weights, lots of biking, etc

I haven't broke out the boots yet, but my ski's are staring at me as I sit in my shop working all day!

I'll probably get real hard core the end of this month and start adding in alot more balancing stuff
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
plywood

Post by plywood »

well, a year later and i`m in the absolut worst condition for skiing imaginable - half of the week i`m sitting around at university, the other half at a desk job. so... pretty bad physical conditions. but maybe i can catch up if i give my best now ;) motivation grows every day
allyson

Post by allyson »

running has been my training of choice lately, mostly because it's cheap and easy to do anywhere. and now that we live close to trails, i'm much more motivated to go. but since it's been getting dark so early, i may have to find an alternative for cardio. time to join a gym!

i think the balance thing is a good idea, and something i need to do more of. does anyone have some good exercises for building ankle strength?
Dutchjibber

Post by Dutchjibber »

Have just started an intensive training scheme (Weight training and cardio) to get my knee up and ready for the next winter. Need to get my left leg in shape after my ACL reconstruction last may. Have hardly been able to do any training the previous two months while doing an internship in madagascar.

@ allyson:
get a balancing ball/ board. It is like half a ball with a board on top to stand on and practice your balance.
If you lift weights while standing on the board with one leg it throws you out of balance and your ankles, knees and hips have to correct all the time. Works like a charm and is pretty inexpensive. I got my balancing board for free with reward-points I collected with my mobile phone contract.
allyson

Post by allyson »

dutchjibber: thanks for that idea. sounds like a challenging contraption, but one that will improve strength and balance, no doubt. good luck with the training and getting your knee back up to par.
Dutchjibber

Post by Dutchjibber »

Thanks,
This is the one that I have, not very expensive but works great.
http://www.sportsdirectoryuk.co.uk/prod ... Board.aspx

There are different ones from other manufacturers too. I used several before while training with physiotherapists as this is not my first knee injury :oops:
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

It's pretty easy to build a balance board. All you need is some 3/4" plywood and a 4" abs pipe. This is only 1-d, but you could probably make a 2-d version with a little more effort.