SkiBuilders' Convention: Whistler, BC, Feb. 16/17, 2008

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

plywood

Post by plywood »

maybe not hochybrig, there it is always tracked pretty fast. but i was thinking about a swiss/european meeting in switzerland. i`m not sure about the location, hochybrig is not really a big resort and always a little crowded. on the other hand...i`m nearly a local there and maybe i could arrange something because they also have a dormitory on the mountain...

two friends of mine also started with building their own skis, and i always wanted to ski with you davide. so i`d be willing to coordinate something...but i think as we are not that many skibuilders over here we could fix a date more or less spontaneously, what do you think?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
davide

Post by davide »

I think it will be not easy for me to come, unless you will choose Muikamachi Hakkai-san, Nozawa Onsen or Kusatsu as location.
I will be in Europe from the 23rd of December till the 1st of January.

In my opinion a small place is perfect for this kind of happening; it will not be very much about powder skiing, but more focused on exchange and fun, so it doesn't matter if it is tracked quickly (by the way, I think it is not true, you just say that to discourage people from disturbing your local resort...).

Ah, there is some material left in Livigno, from the workshop I did last year. You could eventually take over the workshop and organise the meeting at the same time...
plywood

Post by plywood »

ok, just got some informations about hochybrig. if we were over 10people the lift ticket for 2 days would cost about 80CHF. http://ski.intermaps.ch/hoch-ybrig/flash/index.swf maybe i could get a better price, but i won`t promise anything.
accomodation would cost 65CHF per night and person in a dormitory, with dinner and breakfast inclusive. http://www.baerghus.ch/unterkuenfte.html
so far the informations.

i think we should start with "who`s coming and how many are coming?!" then go over to "when would it suit you best?" and finally "where do we want to meet?". depending on how many people come from which region we may could set the meeting where the most of us live. or something like this. just let me know what you think.

about hochybrig...it`s really not a big resort and on the weekend it can be very crowded. lot`s of tourist on the main lifts on the "weglosen" site, but then we could switch to "petersboden" - on these lifts there are always less people. if there is snow you have access to a...beginner level to intermediate nice smooth little backcountry - which is tracked fast... i`m not sure what i should think about the prices...145 for 2days skiing, seems money to me, but on the other hand you have breakfast and dinner. and normally there is no one up there at night so the whole restaurant is empty and we had enough space for a little "show and tell".

@davide: i`m not sure if we can fix a date that suits you - sadly. but maybe we can meet up if you`re in CH over christmas. i`m a little busy then because these twats at university shifted my exam period and set it straight after new year...but there are always ways to meet ;)
or if we don`t manage to find a date during christmastime you could invite us over to hokkaido? ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
kurtgross

RSVP

Post by kurtgross »

Kam,

You already know I'll be there...

Kurt
L8APX

ec mini

Post by L8APX »

I would be willing to put together a east coast meeting. I'm in upstate NY and would love to ski with other builders.
Anyone have dates in mind? I'm thinking early Feb maybe at Magic, mad river or jay peak.
Harvest the ride.
Bucky Mullet

Post by Bucky Mullet »

bigKam wrote: can you imagine riding in an extreme-ski/snowboard comp on a pair of home-builts?
While I've only built one pair, I did use them to fore-run an extreeme comp course. Whistler sounds Awesome, especially in February!!! Let's see if schedules line up!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

OK, great.

Dates: Feb 16 and 17; Location: Whistler/Blackcomb.

Kelvin and I will be departing Seattle Friday evening (2/15).

The plan is to ski on Saturday and Sunday, and then gather for conversations, etc, during the evenings. This will be an informal event, but we'll have more or less an agenda so people know where we'll be. If you are interested in attending, please PM me or send a note to our < support 'at' ski builder *dot* com email> with the subject "Whistler trip" and we'll keep you in the loop. You will have to make lodging arrangements on your own.

Kelvin and I plan to bring some SB stuff to give out and if people are in the mood, we might try stuff like "Best looking ski award", or "Most homemade looking ski award", or something like "Ugliest ski award", :) etc...

If you have ideas for this event, please share them...we're very, very open-minded.

Within the next week I'll make another annoucement with a flier and more details.

We are really, really excited to meet those who can make it, and to make some turns together!
Three31

Post by Three31 »

Not sure if I could make it up to BC. . . but if any Tahoe area builders want to get together sometime Id be into that.

(hey DB, do you have your wintersteiger up and running yet?)
Brian
windsurfer

Post by windsurfer »

why didnt we come up with this idea last winter? I spend the whole year in Vancouver, and now im back in Germany...
Please post some pictures of the event!

cu,
Karsten
allyson

Post by allyson »

hey guys--
i was talking with kam and kelvin, and here's what we came up with for the schedule this weekend:

February 16-17, 2008 Whistler Convention Itinerary:

Saturday, 2/16:

9 am—meet in front of Blacks Pub on the patio in front of the Blackcomb gondola

9:15-3 pm—ski.

4:30-6:30 pm—meet for apre at the Whistler Brewhouse, 4355 Blackcomb Way

Sunday, 2/17:

9 am--meet in front of Blacks Pub on patio in front of Blackcomb gondola

9:15-3 pm—ski.

4:30-6:30 pm—meet for apre at location TBD.

feel free to join us for any or all of these events--we will have free t-shirts and stickers to pass out too. looking forward to meeting all that can come! :)
(and email on support if you have questions)
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

you kids have fun! I'll try to make it next year.
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.