How to Re-furbish Used Skis?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Rob C

How to Re-furbish Used Skis?

Post by Rob C »

Yes- I know this may be blasphemy on a site dedicated to building your own vs. commercial mass-produced. But a few of us don't have the resources to aquire all the tools and equipment needed to build your own pair, to be honest I don't have the finances to even buy new skis. (Married w/2 kids trying to get by as a civil servant in Monterey CA) Up until this last year, I typically rented from the parks or a shop somewhere in Tahoe. I realized that the money I was spending on rentals could translate into several lift tickets, if I had my own gear for my wife and I. Ski cheaper means ski more- especially when you factor in the costs of a weekend drive to Tahoe- $180+ for gas, then food and lodging along w/ lift tickets. (Last year was my wife's 1st time skiing, and I can't afford to go often enough to really get comfortable as a true intermediate skier).

I've bought several pairs of used skis from Galactic, whom I presume re-sales old rentals from the resorts and parks, and we have some decent used boots and poles. From Galactic, for my wife I've got a pair of Atomic Pro-Carv X, and Volkl V1's ; then for me: Rossi Freeride X's, and a pair of K2 Omni Sports will hopefully be delivered before this Christmas. The problem with buying these skis is pretty much equivalent to buying a used rental car ;) and we know how people treat rental cars!!! :D . The Rossi's and Atomics were OK last season after a tuning and waxing, but for me, I wasn't too thrilled with the base on the Rossi's. Hence me giving the K2 Omnis a shot this year as my Christmas present.
For the group, my questions are:

1. What can be done to improve the base condition? (they generously rate them a 4 on a 1-5 scale) can the base be sanded or filled?

2. For the top layer- can knicks and gouges be filled in w/ clear epoxy, or something similar, then sanded with xtra fine grit for an overall smooth finish?

3. Has anyone ever sanded or otherwise worked the toplayer on old skis back down to the graphics layer and re-finished them with a new graphics layer, or airbrushing them?

4. What can be done about rough spots on the metal edges? Obviously if I file them the overall edge will have slight variances in it's dimensions and surface.

Sorry- for the length of this, but I was looking for answers.

Thanks!
Rob
Can't wait for a Tahoe Christmas!!!
Idris

Post by Idris »

Bases can be filled, edges can be sharpened, topsheets can be resprayed in any colour you want.

look here http://www.tognar.com/ for most answers.
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Thanks! Great website with lots of useful tips and materials!