WOW!

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kohlrabi

WOW!

Post by kohlrabi »

I am very glad you guys have documented your experiences in ski making so well.

I made a cedar strip canoe once, a faberglas hood for my car once, and I think now it's time for skis.

I am an avid skier and have always been interested in constructing my own planks. As a kid, every time I heard of random dudes making snowboards or skis in their garages I wanted to meet them, pick their brains and become one of them. Unfortunately I never found a real live gargemaker guy. But I've just found something as good, if not better: a comprehensive, contemporary, easy to understand resource right here in front of me.

What is even better (I don't mean to brag) is that thanks to you all here I'll be able to build a press and skis and get academic credit for it. I'm a student of manufacturing, and learn all sorts of stuff about 2d and 3d design, hydraulcs/pneumatics and robotics, as well as Cad/cam and CNC (computer controlled machines.) I'm not a huge fan of large scale automation and assembly line stuff: I bet making some skis would be a great way to show people that one Can use technology along with hands on craftsmanship to create something enjoyable and useful.

But most of all I want to ski on something I made.

I'm really getting ahead of myself.

I guess what I wanted to say is thanks for the great site and good ideas. If/when I start on my own planks I'll keep you all updated and if I make any interesting advances I'll be sure to share them.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

hi kohlrabi, welcome!

i'm glad the info on SkiBuilders finds you well. we're pretty psyched about skiing on our homemade planks too... it's amazing how well they perform. at some point, we're going to build a CNC router and use it to make cores and cut out bases and such. if/when we do, we'll post the info and share.. i'm sure with your background you'll appreciate it.

anyway, we're excited to see what you come up with. and i want to make a general statement that everyone is welcome to submit their work. we're waiting... it'll make this site that much better to see other designs, ideas, and thoughts..
kohlrabi

Post by kohlrabi »

That will be a good project for sure. We had to build a mini CNC router from the ground up as one of our tech projects. It's really not all that difficult, though depending on the size and which components you use, it can be prety expensive. Servos (if you go that route) and the main encoder box are not cheap.

good luck with it, and I know it'll be a big help. If you ever need any info on the subject, feel free to ask and I might be able to help :)