Moving to America next year, any advice?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chaka

Moving to America next year, any advice?

Post by chaka »

A friend and I are planning to go to America to work as ski instructors next season (2008/2009).
Both we have ISIA level 2 (I don´t know the exact equivalence with american certification; level 4 maybe?) and adaptive alpine ski certification.

Doesn´t matter if we must go to to the Rockies, the Cascades or Sierra Nevada, Canada or Usa, big or small resort, with or without visa program, with or without acomodation for workers; but, we want a lot of that world famous american powder of course.

Any advice will be welcome; there´s a lot of things we want to know.
Thank you guys.
RIDE WITH PRIDE
mark

Post by mark »

Most important thing is that when you meet girls, tell them you're "from Spain" not "Spanish", otherwise they'll think you're from South America (not that that's a bad thing). You'll just score more being from Spain. ;)

Of course, I'm assuming you're a guy, if you're a girl it won't make one lick of difference. :D

Hope you have fun here! If you ever want to test your skills on ice, come by Western Mass and look me up.
chaka

Post by chaka »

ok Thanks; But I think "the west is the best" for us. You won´t know what is ice and hard pack till you come to ski to Sierra Nevada (the original one hoho) here in Spain.
Ummmm maybe I post a topic about Spain´s ski and ski resorts one of these days.
RIDE WITH PRIDE
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

jay peak in VT has had like over 250 inch of snowfall this season already.
dont count out the east, sometimes we score, we just dont have the vertical and the cliffs and stuff.
vinman

Post by vinman »

260 inches? I call shenanegins on that.... I live close by Smuggs and Stowe got about 160 inches so far before the rain and heat wave this week. There is no way that in just over 2 months of ski season they racked up 100 inches more... Maybe in the deepest snow drift on each day they go snow.... Jay Peak....Round Up.

The east was going off, now we are just off. stupid January thaw.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

As much as I love the Pacific Northwest, if you are looking for powder, the Rockies would be much more reliable. It might be easier to get a visa for Canada though, and Whistler/blackcomb is pretty amazing. Just don't expect 4% fluff every day.

-kelvin
Wannabebuilder

Post by Wannabebuilder »

gotta go CO. So many areas, jobs, girls cheap skiing. Good beer.
Lots of people. Euro action :D
4% fluff. Get a car. Go to TGR and make weird freinds tons in CO.
chaka

Post by chaka »

Ok, guys; thanks a lot.
Well... Canada could be an option too, tell me more; but to be honest Colorado is in the first place by now (easier to get a job there I think).

More ideas?!
RIDE WITH PRIDE
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well, I skied Colorado for 4 years in university. I went to Colorado because I thought the skiing would be good. And, boy was I wrong. In 4 years, I had one powder day, and a few other good days, but a lot of not so good days.

Then, I came home to the Northwest, and Mt. Baker for their worst ski year ever. And, I had 20 days with knee deep powder, and several days where face-shots were standard.

But, for the effort, I would really recommend eastern British Columbia in Canada. A place like Red Mountain, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Panorama, or any of the other areas there in the Canadian Rockies will give you phenomenal snow, and pretty good conditions.

Plus, in Canada, you don't have to deal with the tourists from Texas that are so common in Colorado.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Seconded, Red ,Kicking horse, Revelstoke, but Fernie sucks ;) No snow, cold,windy, people are really unfriendly, lift lines, I could go on and on ;)
no I'm joking all are very good places to hang out for a year or two
sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
chaka

Post by chaka »

Ummmm; eastern B.C.? I´ll take a look at those resorts (on the interne t of course).
Thank you guys. Tell me more.
RIDE WITH PRIDE