Got my new Goodha´s!!

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TexMurphy

Got my new Goodha´s!!

Post by TexMurphy »

Ok so I know this is a site where we discuss building skis but buying is fun as well. Especially since I just started building and want a good pow ski for my 5 weeks in fernie.

So I bought the new Goodha 114. I dont know if you guys know about the brand. Its a small swedish brand (2-3 years old) that get their skis made in Austria and their policy is to sell good skis to a good price.

You can check out the 114´s at www.goodhaskis.com

But a quick feature list is 190cm 143/114/133 sidcut giving a 29m radious. They weigh in at "just" 4500g which is imho quite light for such a wide ski. Flex wise they are medium flex. The base is a "bullet proof" very durable racing base.

Gonna be fun to try em out in the bowls of BC in just under 3 weeks... cant wait!!!!

Tex
G-man

Post by G-man »

That's one of the nicest graphics I've seen. I like to watch a subtle, soothing graphic glide through the snow in front of me on the trudge up the mountain.

G-man
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

Yes very sweet graphics but I did smack them around a bit for making a white pow ski... but in the defense of that the neon green sidewalls are a great touch from a diging after skis perspective....

Tex
plywood

Post by plywood »

yep, i knew them... saw some in andermatt - usually there are a lot of swedish skiers up there.

but i wonder where in austria they produce their skis!

and you`re right, i wouldn`t want to dig for all white skis ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Good point regarding the white powder ski. I totally missed that observation. I guess I haven't spent enough time digging for lost skis in endless deep powder. I haven't spent near enough time just plain skiing on endless deep powder, either :( .

G-man
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

@plywood

They are made in the Pale factory.

Was funny we talked about their 181 ski and that there will be a 2nd gen 181. I asked if they where gonna still make it in the Pale factory. He looked very stressed, coughed and said "Say again?" trying to look like I said "frabafherqywe blublbu". Funny how the ski companies dont wana talk about factoires. ;)

Anyways its made in that factory and it also makes Armada among other skis. Ive read some discussions about the 191 beeing made in the same mould as last years (or year befor) JP vs Julien.

@G-man

The solution to white pow skis is ofcourse powder leashes!!!

Im suppriced you dont see them in more place. I bought a pair at Alta and they have litteraly saved me my skis several times. When one crashes in steep and deep pow its so hard to know how far that ski slid under the snow.

I dont know if you know what powder leashes are but they are about 2m long leashes in neon color that one attaches to the binder and stuffs up under the pants at the boot. Note they do not attach to you but they come out of the pant when one looses the skis and it makes it much easier to find the ski.

Ive made several pairs after I bought the first as its so easy.

Tex
plywood

Post by plywood »

nice to know! common fact that nobody likes to speak about their factorys ;)

well, actually it doesn`t really matter which colour your skis have, if you lose them in deep powder it sucks no matter what colour - if you go fast it`s likely that the skis travel after a release several meters under the snow... happend to me once with my first pair. i had to dig for half an hour, starting from the point where i got ejected. the skis were covered with about 40cm of snow, 5m below the point where i fell.

i`d never knew about those powder leashes until i saw someone a month ago. they seem to be unknown to us euros...but really nice gadget, small and easy! so i`ll build myself some soon ;) could be somehow hard to find this shiny neon coloured plastic!
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

Surveyor’s tape works wonders for powder tails... They come in all different colors and are very reasonably priced. I have a roll of florescent pink that I keep in my boot bag.

My only recommendation is don’t use any leash that attaches to your boot or leg. You never can tell when you are going to catch the leash on a branch or some unforeseen obstacle.
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

I made mine out of.. what are they called the leashes that you have to secure stuff on your roof rack??

Anyways bought a pair that had neon orange leashes and cut off the leash and used it. It was actually the cheapest way to buy the leash as this way it cost like 4 euros for 4 meters.

And yeah I dont think Ive seen anyone use em in Europe. Though they can be a bit anoying if one rides a cabin lift and needs to take on and off the skis.

Tex
sammer

Post by sammer »

Tex your gonna need your fat boards if it keeps up the way its going.
we got 71 cm's of the ultra fluff in the last 2 days.
the leashes you describe sound a bit too strong just tie some flagging/surveyors tape to your binding if it hooks a tree it will break.
sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)