Subaru Outback problems.....HELP!!!!

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

telehead

Subaru Outback problems.....HELP!!!!

Post by telehead »

Hello all, I have a 05 Subaru Outback wagon that seems to be very dangerous on slick, icy roads. The car will "Fishtail" or want to at speeds of 25 mph or more. I am getting passed by everyone on the road doing 50 or 60 miles per hour, and i am lucky to be in control. I have found a few people on the internet with this problem but with no solutions. It. is not the tires, load, or driver error. Please help. KT
mark

Post by mark »

Just currious, what are you running for tires on the car?
telehead

Post by telehead »

Studded snow's only 5K mls on tires
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Seems like others have the same issue.
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_sn ... pic=9150.0
telehead

Post by telehead »

Ya, that is what i am finding out. Just can't seem to find a fix. Thanks...
mark

Post by mark »

Woah, that sucks man. I've got an '07 Forester, no issues (knock wood).
The link to the subaru forum in kelvin's link had a lot more info too.
Almost bought a slightly used '06 Outback, glad I didn't.
Good luck man.
APS

Weird

Post by APS »

I used to have a '99. That thing was welded to the road. It would slide if you did something stupid, but otherwise it was the best car I've ever driven in the snow. Did you call the dealer?

I've heard of people sliding around on studded tires on dry pavement, but not quite like that.

Maybe check to see if the AWD fuse is blown?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

There is a easy way to check the all wheel drive function of the vehicle. Securly block up the vehicle and put it into drive and see if there is traction on all four. Otherwise have someone watch you in the snow. Accelerate and have them watch to see if all four tires spin. The second option will be safer!
ra
telehead

Post by telehead »

Thanks for the input, I also heard the same thing. I guess this will tell you if the LSD (limited slip differential) is working properly. The more I search the more people i find. It looks like it is only the 05's. Thanks for the input....KT
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Correct me if i'm wrong but the limited slip differential is within the rear end. I'm not sure of the terminology in these vehicles but it would be in the transfercase. Your idea is correct in that it may not sencing the slipping and engaging the front wheel drive portion (or is the vehilce a front wheel drive with the rear engaging when slipping?). Another option is to get a code reader and check for error codes. You can find these pretty cheap at auto stores (or even harabor freight). You plug it into the vehicle's port and it will come up with errors if there are any.
ra
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

look for some online subaru forums. i bet this is a wheel speed sensor or
center differential problem. i believe most of the awd cars split the torque
60% front, 40% rear, or something in that ball park. most torque is sent to the front wheels. sensor or center diff probs could be sending most
or all torque to the rear wheels. do rockaukum test in the snow, bet the rears spin and fronts don't.

jason
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

this is pathetic that this is my first post, ive been hanging out for about 1.5 years in the shadows...

My last car was a 2003 WRx and I never experienced this problem. However, there was this time I got rear ended and my rental car was a 2006 legacy outback. We took it from denver to Jackson Hole. and it was the scariest trip I had ever had... the car was all over the place! it seemed to transfer power the wheels that were gripping to the ones that were slipping. The only thing that alleviated the problem was driving the car by manualing putting into gears. If that makes sense...

Subarus get really messed up if wheels are of a different size. If one tire is larger than the rest, it thinks that one is slipping and constantly tries to transfer power to the other wheels. I ran studs on my WRX for 4 years and never had a problem. Did you take it to a subaru dealership? it might be a recall. Because I have experienced the exact same thing!

I would try searching these sights:
Evidently I can’t post web pages yet. PM me and I’ll send them to you

Hope this helps!
~Brad

www.SubaruOutback.org
www.nasioc.com
www.awdpirates.net this is my local club, they're ruff around the edges but know their stuff!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Good point by Skimann20. On all four wheel drive vehicles you must have the same size tires. It will really mess with the transfer case. Cause big damage.
rockaukum
telehead

Post by telehead »

This is WAY beyond a tire problem. I did the LSD test, (all 4 tires off the ground, stopping 1 rear the other keeps going) it seems to be ok, although, when i stopped both rear tires the fronts also stopped turning. That is weird....KT
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

telehead wrote:This is WAY beyond a tire problem. I did the LSD test, (all 4 tires off the ground, stopping 1 rear the other keeps going) it seems to be ok, although, when i stopped both rear tires the fronts also stopped turning. That is weird....KT
Your tires have to be 1/4 of an inch or roling circumfrance, check your tires...

yikes! I would so not do that to your car! You're going to burn up ether your trasfer case or one of your differentials...

Just out of curiosity, have you ever done e-brake turns in the car? its looks really cool when the ralley drivers do it but its not good on an AWD system, that power has to go somewhere! UNder normal drinving a automatic subaru will be 90 in the front 10 in the rear.

your AWD consists of an electronically controlled multi-plate transfer clutch that sends torque to the front and rear axles in a 60/40 split which can vary depending on traction. This is why pulling the e-brake is bad. Perhpas your plates are all messed up.

I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish locking up wheels. wouldn't the car think the ones that are spinning lossing grip and the one you locked up would be the one that has all the grip.

I'd take it to the subaru shop.
have fun reading:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/sho ... ot+working