Snowboarder wanting to learn skiing

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Yuki_otoko

Snowboarder wanting to learn skiing

Post by Yuki_otoko »

Ive been poking around here every now and then for a long while (but just got around to signing up).
Im mainly over at grafsnowboards as I snowboard (and make them too).
Anyway, our season down here starts soon and I was thinking of having a go at skiing. I mainly hang out in the park, but also enjoy riding off the back of the mountian. Im hoping I pick it up as fast as I did when I first started snowboarding.
Anyway, Im wondering if anyone can recommend some good sites where I can find out more about skiing, both equipment and technique.
Thanks,
Jamie
camhard

Post by camhard »

newschoolers.com ... you'll learn everything you need to from there. just read the forums, articles... watch videos, etc. you'll learn so much about the equipment for your purposes. as far as technique goes, watch. watch videos and other skiers. especially right now, skiing 'technique' is sorta all over the place. of course there will be the inevitable old guys who'll claim that you must have your skis perfectly together at all times and have your arms and poles out in front ready to plant. I don't even ride with poles most of the time (unless Im in the deep of course, but even then, it can be fun to go no-poles - it's just hard to move if you hit a flat spot or have to go up). but whatever feels cool and you think looks good. ya, there are some things that you can do to be a better skier technique-wise, but you'll pick those up from riding lots and watching others. I got into skiing after snowboarding and had no problems. I had never skied, bought a pair of twintips and boots and never turned back (get boots that fit and have a forgiving flex for park). check out freeskier magazine too, they have some technique tips. you'll pick it up really quick though. good luck.
G-man

Post by G-man »

camhard wrote:
of course there will be the inevitable old guys
Hey... watch it there, young fella. ;)

G-man
Yuki_otoko

Post by Yuki_otoko »

Thanks.
I had a bit of a look around.
Still, if anyone else knows some more, I would still appreciate if you could post them. No matter how basic, or how advanced.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I am just going to second the "no poles" thing. I have been doing more and more skiing without poles the last couple years and have found it very liberating. People who care to much about how they look may tell you that "you must use poles" but they are 100% wrong for most of the skiing that most people do (poles are for pushing). Just take a look at how people ski, and what they do with their poles, and I think you will realize that they aren't necessary, or desireable. Plus, coming from snowboarding, you will already be comfortable using your arms as counterbalances.