Spill the beans! Looking for info...

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Spill the beans! Looking for info...

Post by rockaukum »

Looking for information from some of the locals as to the year round pockets of snow in the south tahoe area. Anyone able to provide information on the whereabouts of some snow fields? I know I can drive up there and cruise around try and find some fields but with the price of fuel, I'd rather know where I'm going first.
Tahoe or south on 88 areas if possible...
Thanks for the insight!
rockaukum
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

If you find out, let me know. I'll join you.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Have a look on TGR, there are some reports up at the moment
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

Yeh FUEL SUCKS...
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Okay, I checked with the tgr site and found two reports from Round top and the Nipple. From the recent pics and reports (thanks VETS) I thinks I will be taking the boys up to the nipple either monday or tuesday next week. Anyone interesterdd in going let me know. I would think I would be there around 0930 -1000 hrs.
Looks like short runs but at least they are runs and good views from the pics.
rockaukum
Three31

Post by Three31 »

I may be able to take some time off work Tuesday. If so, Im on the north shore, what route would you take down there?
Brian
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Three31,
Sorry for the late reply. Been out camping and just got home. Great trip and all however afetr breaking two u-bolts, dislocating the front springs, Breaking the front drive line and both front u-joints we finally made it home. enought of that!
I am going in the morning with the family. We are heading out at about 0900 and it will take us about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to get to the trail head. Tuesday is my wedding anniversary so that day will be out for me. If you are still up for monday, relpy and I'll send a pm with contact info.
From tahoe you would take hwy 89 to hwy 88 (llike you are going to Kirkwood). Then take the road to Blue Lakes. The Nipple is the peak on the right as you head in. Again, If you are interested in going, let me know and I'll send a PM with the contact info and where we will be. Otherwise I'll be available Next week.
rockaukum
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Hey rockaukum,

How did it go up there? Any photos to share?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

We had a great time! Unfortunatly I am still living in a "dial-up" world and won't be able to post any pics until I get to work.
I think I took a wrong turn and managed to find my way to the peak. Straight up the shale to the top. Very un-nerving travel with six kids and my wife.
Skiing was very good considering it is the end of June. Very windy on top and the temp was below 80* at the car, so the snow was still good.
On the trip down the non-skiers had to butt slide down the upper portion and they went FAST! At the car the mosquitos were eveywhere. We got to the car and I told everyone to just drop their stuff and get in. No complaints there! I had to tie all the boards on top while getting eaten alive. Other than that....Great trip, the kids want to go again.
On the way up I was checkin out round top and the sisters area and there is still a bit of snow so we may try it next time. However from the recent pics I have seen there looks to be alot of sun cupping goin on there.
I'll try to get the pics up tomorrow.
rockaukum
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Okay here are a few pics form the trip.
here is the gang posing on the way up:
There were water crossings on the way up and down. Snow is melting!
I'm not too proud to have put the kids in this area, However they did great on the climb.
We found the top and better snow fields. The top was a great place to sit and enjoy the lunch. However the kids couldn't sit still too long. Some climbed to the top (nipple) and signed in. Some went south and found a big field of wildflowers
And others went to the snow
Dropping in
Snow was surprisingly good
The run out
The boarders getting ready
Max getting some air
Another drop in
overview of one area skied
Top section skied
sorry for all the pics but had to put them in.
One of the kids got up the next morning and told his mom "Mon, that was the best day of my life so far!"
I think that sums it up. Great time being able to take kids out to a place they would normally have never gone.
rockaukum