beacons (Pieps freeride??)

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

camhard

beacons (Pieps freeride??)

Post by camhard »

I know that there are better forums like tgr and telemark tips or the canadian avalanche association web-site, but i thought i would throw this out here.
I am pretty new to backcountry travel on snow and will be needing my first beacon for the coming season. i am well aware that the best beacon is the one that works best for the user and all that. i am not looking to these sorts of answers. nor am i looking for completely objective information (i understand the technical info i can get from the manufacturers, so just relisting the features doesnt really help). what i would like are personal opinions, either from experience, or what you have heard or read. i could like something light, but function is much more important. i am not particularly interested in the tracker/tracker II. I am willing to put in the time to understand the more complex transceivers of they will suit me best. I dont think i will be in particularly large groups, and most definately hope i never have to deal with multiple burials.
i have also considered the moral issues around the pulse an S1, but feel free to comment on such topics if you feel it is important.
I am leaning towards either the pulse or S1 at the moment (more the pulse) but am also interested in the new pieps freeride. i am worried about the barryvox's ability to keep up as i am pretty sure i will not want to wait around for my beacon to figure itself out if my partner is buried in the snow. i am also leery about the history of pieps products requiring some pretty serious software updates to fix significant problems. teh single, digital antenna is also a feature that has me worried about the freeride. the S1 seems relatively acceptable as well, but if it does not have any real benefit over other beacons, i see no reason to add weight and price.
any thoughts are appreciated, but the more detail the better. personal opinions are quite welcome and encouraged. even if you just like a beacon because you learnt using that brand, lets hear it.
oh, and views on probes are also good. particularly lenght. i am looking at the G3 tech speed 240cm, but that could change given the right argument.

thanks a lot.
cameron
camhard

Post by camhard »

my apologies for the typos etc. i am very tired.
Idris

Post by Idris »

For single burials in experienced hands a F1 can't be beat. Due to range and simplicity. Being analouge it dosen't have to think, you do. You should be able to search as fast as you can run.

I've seen then get a range of 93m surface and 72m buired in the same test a tracker managed 35m and 17m!

Of digital ones I've played with. I most like the Pulse as it's so easy to use and the range ain't bad.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Hi Cameron,

First of all I'd like to say that I'm really excited to hear that you're taking up backcountry travel. It's certainly exciting to ski/snowboard beyond the ski area boundaries. I trust that you will find many, many treasures. I’ve been backcountry skiing for a number of years. I remember when I first started, simply packing my skis on my back and post-holing into the woods. Back then my friends and I more or less stuck to the resorts before they opened in early season, but then I discovered skins and the rest is history. The majority of my skiing is in the backcountry because I like the exercise, the lack of crowds, the quality time spent with my friends, the challenge of route finding and decision making, and of course, the views and opportunities to make photographs.

Safely traveling in the backcountry is extremely important. I always keep in the back of my mind some words that Bruce Tremper once said, which goes something like, “You live and die by your habits…” Anyway, it’s good that you’re seriously considering what beacon to purchase. As you probably already know, there is no ‘magic’ beacon or a do-it-all device. You are doing the best by asking around and doing some research. But in my opinion the best beacon is your brain, coupled with good decision making. Still, I don’t travel into the backcountry without my beacon, shovel, and probe when the activity involves snow. My friends also stick to this simple rule.

Anyway, I’ve been using the F1 for many years. I’m quite familiar with it and it’s an analog device, with descent range. It’s not a trivial beacon to use, requiring a little practice. As Idris mentioned, you have to think to use it! I like that about the F1. From time-to-time I practice with it to make sure I’m on top of my game when it comes to searching for a victim. It’s absolutely important that you learn how to use your equipment before entering the backcountry. I often carry an earpiece with me that plugs into the F1 to help me listen to the ‘beeps’ it produces when I have to search. Sometimes the blowing wind, etc., can make hearing the beeps difficult. I’ve used the Tracker, M2, and other digital beacons, but prefer the F1 because I’m use to it. Just remember, timing is everything when an accident happens and you have to get your eggs in one basket. I’ve had to free friends from the snow a few times and it’s not something that I enjoy or want to do ever again.

Here are other important things to consider in addition to gear. This is just off the top of my head and there are definitely other things, but it’s a start:

1. Route finding: learn to read the terrain and pick good travel routes. The terrain, slope angle, and aspect are so very, very important. Dig pits, poke the snow, do ski cuts (even on the approach), listen for weird sounds in the snow, talk to your friends who you are traveling with to get their opinions, etc.
2. Group dynamics: this is extremely important. Travel with people you can communicate with; travel with people with the same goals and expectations. Have a plan for emergencies.
3. Do a beacon check at the beginning. My friends and I have a habit of doing this and we have on occasion spotted equipment issues such as low batteries, etc. We are familiar with the beeps and tones each of our beacons make -- each make/model will beep differently.
4. Carry a map, altimeter, and compass and use them. I rely on my wrist-watch altimeter a lot. I’m usually lost without it and my map, literally.
5. Pay attention to the temperature and how the sun shines on the snow.
6. Look around for signs of snow activity, like point-releases, cracks in the snow, natural avalanches, and sounds. Also, pay attention to density changes in the snow as you travel. Learn to recognize slabs.
7. Don’t travel too close to your partners in potentially hazardous terrain. There’s a funny saying that goes like this: “Tail-to-tip, you’re a dip!”
8. Read, take courses, go outside and experience the snow, but be cautious.

Best of luck and do share your experiences and photos!