Boots? Oh yeah.. gotta attach ski's somehow...

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RoboGeek

Boots? Oh yeah.. gotta attach ski's somehow...

Post by RoboGeek »

I've had some poorly fitting rossi's for a few years now.. just got some dalbello mxr's off ebay. Knowing these probably wont fit any better, and with a good fit so important, I'm just wondering if anybody has given any thought to customizing liners. Sure the bootfitters are artists and deserve the respect for knowing how to cure many problems, but I just am wondering if anyone has tried custom fitting their own - footbeds, liners.. whatever.
I have to admit I love $30 boots and $35 ski's - run them for a season and tear them apart and steal the bindings!

I say this as I'm wearing my rossi's, playing halo, and getting my one legged balance stance back. No idea how the dabello's will fit, but my boots are currently molding my feet to fit the liners. Somehow that seems backwards :D
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Good fitting boots are a dream!
My liners are starting to get flattened out. I have used cardboard to take up the space in and around the ankle but have now switched to using a closed cell foam cut to shape and duct taped in place. Years ago a friend used to use a spoon and a good blow dryer. Heated up the plastic and used the spoon to shape the toe box for a good fit. Looking forward to reading others ideas on this topic as I'm sure the new scarpa's will need a bit of tweaking (hoping not!).
ra
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

If you don't have super feet, or something similar, get some. Most poorly fitting boots are too large and feel sloppy. Superfeet not only give you cushion and arch support they are thicker than most boot footbeds so they take up some room in the heel and instep. There is all sorts of prefab accessories you can use to help get a better fit. They are usually just closed cell foam cut into a fancy shape. You should try getting a few and experiment around. As long as your boots aren't way to big you should be able to get a better fit without much work. Just zap liner with a hair dryer and stand around in the boots after you add your pads and you should be good to go.

I've got stuff from these guys before.
http://tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer_fi ... board.html

On the other hand, I just bought some new Garmont rando boots this year and they were well worth the money. Finding a company that makes a boot for your foot shape is the key. Scarpas and BD killed my feet but the Garmonts kick ass. Good luck.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake