backpack

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ben_mtl

backpack

Post by ben_mtl »

Hi all !

Here is my question today : Any suggestion for a day trip ski backpack ?
Last time I asked it was in an outdoor shop in Montreal, I was going for a week of backcountry (day tours) and had absolutely no material.
For day trip the guy sold me the Osprey Switch 16, I was very happy but I quickly changed as I had to pack it : you can hardly fit the mandatory "shovel + probe" + some food for the day + some water + a down jacket... and don't even expect to add an helmet. Anyway I like the fact that there is a special compartment for the shovel and probe, bad thing is the bag is not tall enough for the probe and as soon as you put the blade in the bag it's no more "expandable" and the remaining space is just a shame ! Couldn't even fit my down jacket which is in a compression bag (5in diameter x about 10in long).

So I'm asking what do you guys suggest and here here what I expect from a good backpack
- space for shovel + probe in a separate compartment, easily accessible from the front or side,
- space for a down jacket in a compression bag to save space but easily accessible cause I don't wanna have to empty my bag to get my jacket when I'm freezing my a** at the top of the mountain
- space for spare mitts and hat + lunch and water
- top pocket for goggles, camera, compass, map..
- a spot to hold an helmet
- able to carry skis
- hip pockets for cereal bars and small stuff

Of course it has to be as low profile as possible cause I don't want to have a huge balloon on my back when I ski down in the trees.

Oh and of course again it has to be bombproof : my Osprey, after 1 week carrying the skis on the backpack (no touring bindings at this time so I hiked up with snowshoes...) had holes in the fabric because of the edges. There were some reinforcements but not in the right spots, that's sad when you pay $100 for a backpack.

The price is also to consider :p I'm broke :(

Any suggestion ?
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
allyson

Post by allyson »

hey ben--
i also use an osprey pack--the ceres 50 (50L)--and it is great for day trips. it's a top loader, so i do have to dig around a bit when looking for more layers. but it has a pocket on the top flap that is perfect for glasses, hat, extra gloves, etc. the pack also compacts nicely for days when i might not need to use all the space.

this pack has a pocket for a shovel and a loop for an axe on the outside, and the compression straps keep them from bouncing while moving. for times when you may need to boot, skis slide easily into straps on the side of the pack that cinch down without a lot of fumbling. the compression straps also work well to carry a board.

i've also used the switch 40 osprey pack, which has a lot of similar features, but it is a lot heavier of a pack, and doesn't carry weight as evenly. however, it does have a nice clamshell design, which allows you instant access to the insides of your pack. i wouldn't recommend this pack though because it is a bit too heavy for day trips, and not big enough for overnight trips.

hope that helps. good luck!
-allyson
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Hi ben_mtl

I've owned/tested/thrashed over 20 packs in the last 15 years, for uses such as backcountry skiing, mountaineering, and alpine climbing. Most of the Osprey packs I've used (6 total) fit very well, and some of their newer models are very light. Over the years I've gravitated toward simple and lightweight packs. I try to avoid 45L or so packs that weigh more than 3Lbs and has a frame.

I'm currently using a Wild Things Rock Sac (http://www.wildthingsgear.com/index.php). Wild Things don't make that pack anymore, but they have a replacement called the Ice Sack. These packs do not have a support frame, i.e., no fancy metal stay combined with a plastic frame to take the load. Instead, there's just a thin foam pad that also functions as a sit pad or emergency bivy pad -- been there, done that!

If you're careful about how you pack, these frameless packs are incredibly comfortable and they can handle light to moderate loads. I've used my 45L Rock Sac on several two to three day trips. I agree that the single compartment may be a pain to dig for stuff, but the simplicity and weight are well worth it, mile after mile! I've had zippers fail and it's no fun.

Two main complaints I have about my Wild Things pack are the stitches holding the daisey chain fell apart and the ski straps were cut by my edges after about 6 months of hard use. The fabric on the other hand is extremely durable. I don't mind the stitching and straps wearing easily because they can be fixed and I have used my sewing kit on it several times. Again, the main reasons I like this pack are the weight and fit!

I will retire my Wild Things pack soon and maybe pick up another one, such as their Guide, Icesac, or Ricesac. The other pack I've currently got my eyes on is the Golite Jam2 (http://www.golite.com/product/proddetai ... PA5264&s=1). This is a no nonsense pack, simple, $125 and only 1 Lbs 10 oz @ 51L!!!

Good luck and let us know what you find, try, use, and experience.
Last edited by bigKam on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

By far the best ski-taineering pack I've run into is the Marmot Meije. I've been using it for 3 years now and its never once let me down. I've got the old generation, but from what I've seen the new one has the same features. It was designed by Doug Coombs and is bomb proof in construction and flawless in design. I'm still finding out new cool features about this thing. I'd say the best thing about it is the zippered back panel that lets you get into the main compartment w/o having to undo compression straps. From Marmot's website http://marmot.com/fall_2007/equipment/b ... fo/details :

" * Compression Molded Backpanel Highest level of comfort and durability
* Trap door access througth the back panel
* Coombs Ski Carrying System unique system of straps for securing your skis.
* Removeable light-weight mesh hip belt to lighten the load
* Bellowed front pocket for skins or a map
* Quick grap external ice axe holder
* External rope, skins and crampon holder
* Power food waist belt pockets
* Delrin hoop pack frame
* Internal Ice Axe holder
* Internal pockets for probe poles and shovel handle "

well worth the money.
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Waw !
This Marmot "La Meije" seems to be the perfect bag for me ! Unfortunately that seems that it's not fabricated anymore, and its successors don't seem to be that great.

Do you fit the probe and shovel handle completely in the front pocket ?

Thanks BigKam and Allyson, the bags you suggested don't seems to have all the features I wanted but obviously no backpack has them, or if a backback existed it's no more available... I'll try to find them and bring all my gear to the shop for a "fit test"

Thanks
teleman36

backpack

Post by teleman36 »

Try searching some of the online retailers of mountaineering gear, I am sure you can dig up a Meije. Great pack, and if I have been doing enough yoga I can get skis on and off the pack without talking it off.
Greg

Post by Greg »

One company that makes great packs as well, is Conterra. They are pretty much unknown but supply most packs to ski patrollers, navy seals, swat teams, etc.

I have been very satisfied with the quality of my current "patrol' pack, but their others are also very smartly designed.

http://www.conterra-inc.com/
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

ben_mtl wrote:Waw !
Unfortunately that seems that it's not fabricated anymore, and its successors don't seem to be that great.

Do you fit the probe and shovel handle completely in the front pocket ?
Marmot definitely made it last year, I have a feeling with a little searching around, you'll be able to dig something up. They might've discontinued it for this year not sure. That said, these things have such bomber construction that even a well used one will likely last for a really long time. My brother probably has like 250 days in his and its still going strong. Shovel handle, probe, and even a fairly good size axe fit in that front pocket without protruding and really helps to keep them organized. It'll be worth your effort to find one of these packs. In fact, I just read a review on it that described it as "the cats ass!" I'm not quite sure what that means, but if the meije is the cats ass, then I want to be the cats ass too.
good luck
grizz
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I might have found one in Gemany... still waiting for an answer to know if they actually have it in stock but the shipping is gonna be expensive (if they accept to sell abroad which is not always the case...). All the online store I found in the US and Canada are sold out.

I found the DaKine "Blade" in a shop here, it seems pretty nice, a bit smaller than the La Meije (28 L) but I would think for a daypack it's OK, lots of nice features and it seems to be well tought. I might try to bring all my gear to the shop for a test fit.

keep you posted !
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Well, finally after going to the local shop and try to fit my stuff in the available backpacks, I went with the Dakine "Pro II" (25L).
I hesitated a long time with the "Blade" (Dakine also) but it's quite bigger and was afraid it would be too loose (28L with top/cover pocket, don't know how to call it...).
I kept the possibility to exchange the bag if it's too small though. I'm gonna try a "real" fit test tonight with everything.
The fit of the Blade was a bit more adjustable and I liked the top pockets for goggle and small items but as I told I'm just not sure I'll fill the main compartment with only a "daytrip" equipment and this top/cover pocket would be loose...

Will keep you posted on that.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Used this bag this week-end !
I took it for 2 days in the backcountry : sled-access to a cabin the day-tours in the surroundings.
This bag is very nice, it's pretty much what I expected from a bag and it does a great job.
I was able to fit all my avalanche gear (blade + probe in the bag, handle outside in the ice-axe holder), a down jacket in a compression bag, some food + water, a camera, spare gloves, goggles, small safety/repair kit. Unfortunately no space for the helmet (I could have fix it outside but on a powder day I felt like I didn't need it that much)
The bag was just great, it stays close to your body all the time, I didn't even noticed it when skiing down !
The hip pocket is pretty small but I was able to ft my camera, it's nice to have it easily accessible. The back panel access is very convenient with some kind of inside pockets in the main compartment to organize your gear.
I broke my collar-bone 2 winters ago and had no luck finding good doctors so my bone didn't heal in the good position, making a kind of bump ways bigger than an usual healing (don't know if it's clear...). Anyway because of that it's been pretty tough to find a comfortable backpack which doesn't "push" on that. On the Pro II there are some nice adjustments for the sternum strap and I was able to have a nice fit.

So overall I'm really happy with this bag for this use !

Just a small reflection about compression bags : What I like with a backpack is having everything close to my back so it won't affect my balance. Why all those compression bags are compressing stuff to "ball" shapes ? I mean when you have a big pack (40L) it's fine becaus eyou might carry lots of things but when you're using a small backpack with for example just a down jacket in it, I feel like it would be more convenient to compress it flat instead of having a 6' diameter ball in the middle of your back. Any thought about that ?