Everyone's backgrounds

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

melvs

Everyone's backgrounds

Post by melvs »

Just curious, what's everyone's background here? Nosey yes, but I wasn't voted class gossip for nothing.

I am currently a freshmen at UNH studying Mechanical Engineering. I've been skiing my entire life, and been into the newschool type thing for 5 years or so now. Basically since it began. Being a east coast kid, I've never had the chance to ski pow, or even much back country, so all my skiing revolves around park. I've always wanted to make my own skis, and so doing this is like a dream come true for me. I just gotta get all my shit together and make it happen.
-Pat
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

I graduated with my BS in mechanical engineering at UCLA and spent one year studying the same thing in grad school at Berkeley. I dropped out because I couldn't take it anymore and figured it would be best to take some time off.

I first put on skis back in 1990 and have been skiing ever since with the last 2 seasons on telemark gear. I also was part of the newschool scene back when the original 1080's came out and was pretty heavy in the jibbing. This shows in the way I tele. I still wander in the park quite a bit but am starting to lean towards the pipe nowadays. Skiing is pretty much my life.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

hey guys. i'm too lazy to type, but look here for my background info

if you don't already know, kam S leang and i are related -- he's my cousin and we like to ski :D

btw, Kelvin and i are almost ready to layup two new pairs of skis. we'll have some photos in a week.
judae

Post by judae »

hello...nice site, yo. 8)
Giver

Hello!

Post by Giver »

Hey there, just found your site Kam (s), awesome job!
I'm studying Mech eng at the university of ottawa, on and off, but mostly just to learn to build fun stuff, I'll be starting a press once I get back from Colorado next week, expect emails! haha

nice to meet everyone!

Jeremy
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Jeremy:

nice to meet you and welcome!!! we'd love to hear from you about your progress, and feel free to ask questions.
Madriverglen

Post by Madriverglen »

Hey im a freshman in high school around boston, i ski usually at Mad River Glen, which is known for 4 things: no snowboarders, skier owned, the single chair, and a large amount of teles.

I am no longer into newschool after i had a compression fracture in my back and a broken pelvis from jumping 3 years back.

My friends are big in jumping ( you can see my friends site at www.steptproductions.com, please check it out) but im big into glade skiing, outta bounds, and moguls.

I am currently with a friend who is very experienced with things like this ( he is a professional sailor) making my own skis with the dimensions of 180 cm 130/110/120

Thanks for making such a great site.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

welcome Madriverglen!

if you get a chance, show us some of your home-made skis. say, how's the skiing in the east this year?

i'd love to ski Mad River sometime. from what i've heard it's a great ski area, with super fun terrain.
Madriverglen

Post by Madriverglen »

well ill show my skis if they dont delam right as they come out of the mold, if i get around to making the mold. Anyways school takes a lot of time(dont tell my parents i really spend all my time on NS)

Ya skiing out east was pretty bad in the begginning of the season(got a few core shots on my new skis) but its really picking it up and the mad river valley is getting 3-5 feet this month.

Defintly come out its the best, us at mrg are the tightest community
Madriverglen

Post by Madriverglen »

o ya thanks for making such a sweet site
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Madriverglen wrote:o ya thanks for making such a sweet site
no problem. we'll try to add more stuff, like videos and information. there's so much stuff to learn about ski building. it's pretty fun..

btw, nice website. i like the photos. say, when you get around to building your skis, send us some photos, and ones of you skiing them. we'll post then on SkiBuilders.com.
Madriverglen

Post by Madriverglen »

dank
broskier

Post by broskier »

howdy folks

First off, props on the site. Prior to this I was only aware of www.grafsnowboards.com for homebuilder information, but snowboards are the main focus there.

I am currently a senior in ME at the U of U. For my senior design project I am designing a jib focused ski, more adapted to the abuses encountered in a park and urban environment. I myself prefer the BC pow, but this seemed a more progressive area to design. Check the webpage out at www.audiodig.com/jibski
It hasn't been updated for a while but this should change soon.

keep up the good work
cheers
RoRy
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

welcome to the site Broskier!

nice site. I'm interested in how you plan on using that honeycomb and how you prep it. How are you planning on making your skis jib specific?
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

welcome broskier! say, i graduated from U of U too. great school and, of course, great skiing. i checked out your site. pretty cool. do you have any pictures of your skis?