Builders in Scotland (Aberdeen) & Ski Press Question

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Joe90

Builders in Scotland (Aberdeen) & Ski Press Question

Post by Joe90 »

Hey Guys

I'm looking to start making a pair of skis and I wanted to know if there was anyone in Aberdeen or even Scotland that currently make their own skis or would be willing to have a go with me.

As for the ski press...I am looking at making a very basic press and was wondering if once I have made the base and the top it would be possible to just use a series of ratchet straps to apply the pressure to the ski or is this too simple?

Thanks,

Dave
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

ratchet straps might be hard to get the pressure distributed evenly.
but you could use bags made of cordura which shouldn't be hard to come by (i'll be getting mine from montucky madman from this great forum).

have a look at this thread to get the idea: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1820
Idris

Post by Idris »

Hi Dave,

I'm not from Scotland but Wales which in the grand scheme of things ain't that far.

My advise on a press is go for a vacuum setup to begin with, much less to worry about than most methods. Cheap and flexible (one setup works for any size).

Tom
Joe90

Post by Joe90 »

Thanks for the help guys.

Did either of you design your ski press on a computer programme or by hand?

What sort of calculations did you use for the press, if any?

Thanks,

Dave