Can't we just get along?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Can't we just get along?

Post by rockaukum »

Yes we can! Here is a pic of the latest ski and board combo. The skis were for BC and will soon have a pattern cut into the base for climbing.
The board was a surprise for my sons. The oldes has built several boards and has complained of them bing too heavy / stiff. So I took it upon my self (with the soilticed advise from DBS, thanks!) to build a suprise for them. Well I sent my son to REI with my skis (one hour drive each way) to have the bases done (thanks Doug!) while I went ot work ont he final prep to press. My son returned home and entered the shop to let me know he was back. Well he snooped around and found the core base etal...
So the cat was out of the bag! I told him to get his brother and they could press the board now. Friday night at about 10 in the press it went. Dropped it off at REI in the am, picked up several hours later all ready for the hill. Up to tahoe for a week of skiing / riding starting Sunday. They loved the board. My oldest is still up there and has "parked" his "capatia" board!
Here we are at NorthStar...
Max in the air...
Lucas playing in the park...
Now I have to make another... so they both have one!
ra
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

:D

is that the rocker board you were going to build? Looks rad!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i hope you're going to post some details on the construction ;)
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

love that method and the "gnarly arm" haha
Doug
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Thanks for the coments.
DBS... Yes this is the rockered board. Came out pretty good based on the fact that they love it!
Chrismp... I will do a write up on the next board. It may be sooner than I expected.
I came home from work today to find the board on the floor. Speaking with my son, I get the ugly details... You see he was crusing on the slopes and took a high line. You know the one you have taken many times before... Anyway he hit the stump (covered in snow) and launched into the air. Only thing is he came down and found a rock, rather large, and nosed directly into it. Needles to say, he went flying because the board stopped rather quickly. There is a complete delam across the tip, front section of the board. I'm not sure on how to go about the fix. I'll have to examine it tomorrow and see what I come up with. The base hase a bulge about one inch in diameter and the delam goes across the tip where the tip spacer meets the wood. After a quick glance, it seems the wood is okay so we will see.
Big bummer either way!
ra
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

bummer on the breakage. would love to see some pics of the rocker
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Update..
I went to the shop the other day and the board was sitting on the bench just stairing at me... I took some plyers to the top and started pulling. I couldn't stop! Got the whole top sheet and glass off without damage to the core. Which leads me to wonder about the bond between the glass and the core??? Anyway I was on a roll and proceeded to prep the core for another pressing. Pressed it again with a new top sheet.
Then set to work on starting / finishing the other board.

Chrismp... same construction as normal. Only real difference in the core was to reduce the thickness between the binding inserts. To do this I placed the core onto a piece of plywood. In the center I put a 1/4"mdf slightly narrower than the space betweent the bindings. I then ran this through the planer to achieve the desired thickness.

Knight... forgive my ignorance, what is "gnarly arm"?...

The board at point of impact...
top of board..
Jig for the center reducing of the core...
Old and new boards in prep...
New boards out of the press...
Boards standing together to show the rocker...
Boards done except the bases...
Not all good news... My tele bindings... Targa ascent...
ra
corvettecrazy

Post by corvettecrazy »

What are the graphics on those board? Tie-dyed rice paper??
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Straight tye-dye on cotton cloth. Nothing fancy but they say cotton is better for tye-dye. Don't know why...
ra