how many home built skis are out there?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

shopvac

how many home built skis are out there?

Post by shopvac »

I wonder how many pairs of home built skis and snowboards have been made with the help of this and the graf websites (probably other websites I don't know about too)?

I see there are around 1170 registered users on this forum and around 200 "journals" pages. Going with a rough guesstimate I would say there could be somewhere between 200 and 2000 skis and snowboards that have come through this website in one way or another. I am sure there are plenty of other builders that are not signed up as well. We have built 6 pairs now and it seems like a lot of the other builders have built a similar number.

The thing I love most about this site is that almost everyone does the process a little bit differently, from the press, to the materials used, and the steps taken to get to a final product.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I've made 10 pairs of skis and a snowboard if you are starting to count.
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.
twizzstyle

Re: how many home built skis are out there?

Post by twizzstyle »

shopvac wrote: The thing I love most about this site is that almost everyone does the process a little bit differently, from the press, to the materials used, and the steps taken to get to a final product.
Not only that, but the overwhelming willingness to explain in detail how we all do it differently, provide help and give advice based on personal experiences. There's nothing I hate more than project-types holding back information because they don't want people stealing their ideas.

I like to think of the DIY'ers in the world (not just ski builders) as one big team, sharing ideas back and forth only makes the final processes and outcomes better! :) I started a carbon fiber violin project a while back, and every violin builder I talked to was a real jerk and wouldn't tell me anything! :(
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

twizzstyle wrote:
shopvac wrote: The thing I love most about this site is that almost everyone does the process a little bit differently, from the press, to the materials used, and the steps taken to get to a final product.
Not only that, but the overwhelming willingness to explain in detail how we all do it differently, provide help and give advice based on personal experiences. There's nothing I hate more than project-types holding back information because they don't want people stealing their ideas.

I like to think of the DIY'ers in the world (not just ski builders) as one big team, sharing ideas back and forth only makes the final processes and outcomes better! :) I started a carbon fiber violin project a while back, and every violin builder I talked to was a real jerk and wouldn't tell me anything! :(
sean has built 3 pairs, and i have built 1 pair, with another on the way once i have a little more free time...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

KevyWevy wrote: sean has built 3 pairs, and i have built 1 pair, with another on the way once i have a little more free time...
eh? relevance?

I'm already working on pair number 4 (5 technically, have to include stumpysticks), you gotta do some catching up son!
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

twizzstyle wrote:
KevyWevy wrote: sean has built 3 pairs, and i have built 1 pair, with another on the way once i have a little more free time...
eh? relevance?

I'm already working on pair number 4 (5 technically, have to include stumpysticks), you gotta do some catching up son!
relevance is that hes wondering how many pairs we've made.

minty sticks and two piggy sticks. stumpy sticks don't count you only made one and it was a horrible failure. :P
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

twizzstyle wrote:
eh? relevance?

oh yeah... and im waiting for somebody to get their stuff out of my way so i have some room to build.... and time.... mostly time.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

KevyWevy wrote:
twizzstyle wrote:
eh? relevance?

relevance is that hes wondering how many pairs we've made.

minty sticks and two piggy sticks. stumpy sticks don't count you only made one and it was a horrible failure. :P
hahaha, sean fail for not actually reading the thread title :(

(I made two stumpy sticks, counts as a pair)
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

I don't expect to be able to get an accurate count but just curious as to what others think the approximate number could be?

Twizz and Kev - are you guys vacuum bagging or pneumatic, or both these days?
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

pneumatic. the pair that sean tried with both bagging and pressing didn't turn out as well as he/we had hoped.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Technically I've built 2 pairs of skis. But I'm only skiing on 1. I plan on at least 2 or 3 more this season.
sammer

Post by sammer »

not sure if this question is rhetorical,
but... I've built 6.5 pairs (vacuum bagging).
One ski had a core shift and is still hanging around to remind me to pay more attention during layup!!!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Up to 5 pairs, 1 prototype, 3 skiable, and a new pair w/o bindings yet. But I will be skiing on them in a week or 2.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

I've built two pairs so far, third set for the wife has been designed. I just have to get a couple more pictures uploaded before I begin my journal.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

I think ive done 10 snowboards by now, first few are just conversation pieces, however we have only had 1 failure to date so far, got 2 more in process right now

once our cnc router is assembled, we will be making a pile more