Boo for pork, but don't pick on skiers!

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

dbtahoe

Boo for pork, but don't pick on skiers!

Post by dbtahoe »

doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

very cool bigKam, wanna key us in on this vibration dampener? Sounds pretty awesome.

http://nanotechwire.com/news.asp?nid=9090

Any time you look deeper in to political bs from either side you can be surprised what you'll find.

I personally think that financing scientific endeavors is a great way of stimulating the economy.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Interesting... I'm not sure how to respond, maybe, "take my class"... ;).

Oh, Channel 2 aired this last week (link to video clip at the bottom of the page):

http://www.ktvn.com/global/story.asp?s=1161830

This will be a fun project and it just got started, but don't forget:

"The curriculum isn’t just for building skis. Practical, easy-to-relate-to macro-scale applications such as aerospace structures and wind-energy turbine blades will also be introduced into sophomore- and junior-level courses. The technical engineering challenges and need for improving functionality of all of these applications will be presented and then linked to solutions offered by nanotechnology."

As for the particle damper -- seems to work nicely. Wait till you see what the students have planned for the next class....
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

bigKam wrote:Interesting... I'm not sure how to respond, maybe, "take my class"... ;).

In another world I went to school for engineering. In this one I have a hard time doing basic math.

I really like what you're doing. Keep it up.
SRP

Post by SRP »

Congrats BigKam! That sounds like a great class, where was this when I was in school!!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

It's always great learning when you can mix the theoretical world of the class room with the practical hands-on approach of the real world. If there was more of that when I was in college maybe I would have stuck with engineering instead of changing to computer science.