Lliability

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Cody

Lliability

Post by Cody »

All,
I have had success building skis over the last 6 years and have had numerous people ask me to build them custom skis....I am thinking it would only amount to roughly 20 - 50 pairs per year to start...maybe it would grow from there. I build about 10 pairs a year now for my friends and my own quiver.
I have been hesitant to build and sell because of liability. From what I understand, even with an LLC and a really good release, I am still very exposed. The answer should be good liability insurance. Unfortunatly I have had it quoted from 3 sources and it is around $10-$12K per year which isn't feasable for the volume I get requests for. Has anyone had any luck with lower insurance rates or some other way to get around this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

That’s the going rate for liability insurance for this kind of thing. You won’t find it lower, to my knowledge. Check out S-Corporations vs. LLC’s as well. Consult an attorney. I’m not going to tell you what I do because I wouldn’t want anyone to construe it as any kind of real advice in this matter from me, sorry.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X