Base repair - Durasurf 4001

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ben_mtl

Base repair - Durasurf 4001

Post by ben_mtl »

Hi guys,

I made a beautiful gouge in the base of one of my skis lately and wanted to fix it.
The base is Red Durasurf 4001.
I tried the usual method with a clear P-tex stick but I can't get it to bond properly. As soon as I start scraping the excess P-Tex it peels off the base.
I tried heating the base a litttle bit, used wax remover.. still doesn't work.

Any idea on how to make a repair there ? Or maybe I'm doing it wrong (though I went with the same method I use on all my "bought" skis)... if someone wants to to help me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Ben
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Check this out repair out.
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 2894#12894

I've had some gouges where P-tex would not stay in very well. Try filling the gouge in a little at a time. Drip some P-tex in thin layers, (maybe scuff it up a little too so the next layer holds better) , letting it cool between each layer, until the gouge is filled. After it's set for a while and has completely cooled down, slowly scrape way the excess P-tex until it's smooth.

Time consuming but it might hold.
vinman

Post by vinman »

if the gouge is right on the edge it won't bond well at all. You'll either need to epoxy that or cut out a section with a razor blade and replace it with a spare piece of the same material epoxied in place. Then sand flat as needed.

edit: exactly as in the above link. I did not look first...
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Well the gouge is not big enough to justify a base repair like that, it's more like a big scratch. It almost doesn't touch the edge, just slightly at one end.

Thanks for the advises !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
jono

Post by jono »

I've had great luck with this approach: