TV Time

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

TV Time

Post by skidesmond »

Hi all,

I thought I'd pass this info on to the ski builders of the world.

Over the winter at our Wednesday night race league I met another racer who is a camera man (Dave Fraser) at our local public TV station, WGBY, in Western Mass. Word got around I was racing on hand made skis (sounds better than home-made skis :) ). He was intrigued by the idea of making skis and didn't know it was possible, and neither did I until I came across this forum. So I showed him the skis, briefly told him the process I went through, told him about www.skibuilders.com. People are really surprised that they are made from wood! It blows their minds.

So one thing lead to another and he said he works on a show called "Making It Here" that profiles local businesses, talent, artists, story's of interest, etc. He asked if I'd be interested in filming the making of a ski. I said "Hell Yeah!". So the last few weeks after work, we've been taping segments of ski building, from planing the wood core, layup process, pressing, etc. Yesterday we filmed me skiing on the latest pair. It was a blast! We have 1 more segment to shoot and that's the mounting of the bindings and then an interview part.

He's also working on a story of the history of skiing in Western Mass and may try to work a few shots of ski building into the documentary. We used to have a ton of small ski areas in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

There's no guarantee it will make the show, but he's pretty confident it will work out. They make 11 episodes a season. If the show does make the cut it will air in the fall of 2010. He said they usually post a podcast of the shows on the internet, http://www.wgby.org/localprograms/makin ... sodes.html

So, I plan on plugging skisbuilders big time, Thanks Kam! and I hope it makes the show. Thanks to everyone in the forum for all their advice and for freely posting their ski building experiences, both good and bad.

BTW- Anyone w/ TV experience? I'll try not to look/sound too dumb and keep the ums and ahs to a minimum :oops: :)

I'll keep you posted about the show and let you know if/when it will air.

Here are the skis we used at yesterdays shoot:

Here's the ski that got the ball rolling. I've been racing on it even though it's not a racing design, but it's fun anyway.

OAC

Post by OAC »

You lucky ba...! I also want to be in the limelight! I really hope you make the show! I will be watching.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The show segments normally run 6-8 minutes. They say everyone gets 15 minutes of fame in thier life time. Now I have to think of something else to make up the remaining 7-9 minutes :)

SKI ON!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Update:.... The episode about me ski building will be on TV on our local public tv station. It was going to be on a show called "Making It Here" but will now be on a new show called "Connecting Point". It will air Monday Jan 10th at 7:30PM east coast time (USA).

I got an advance copy of the episode over the summer. It's about 5 min. long. It's more about some one who builds skis rather than how to build skis. But we all know how to do that already ;)

So if you're local check it out. If there is a podcast for it I'll post an update. The Public TV station website is http://www.wgby.org/ Nothing about the new show is on the website just yet.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Sooooo, you just might want to mention that your happy to sell a few pair?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

yeah, that would be nice!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Man. Those flames are amazing, nice job on both pairs. Awesome. )
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

tv experience? highschool tv count?
if so then ya.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

a.badner wrote:tv experience? highschool tv count?
if so then ya.
The episode was taped last season. I tried not to say "like" or "um" too much.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Here's the clip that aired last night on our local PBS station. It was filmed last season. I've made some changes to the press and my layup process since then....

OAC

Post by OAC »

So cool Steve!
You're a star now! :D
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Very very cool Steve! Awesome video!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

That is so cool :) But hey, where are your heaters?!? haha
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

GReat job - looking forward to the next instalment :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks everyone! Now I just need the riches :D My buddy Steve was also in the video clip, riding up the chair w/ me. He makes Adirondack ski chairs for a hobby. He's my racing partner and FOG extraordinaire.