FOAM AND WOOD COMBO CORE

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

wingworks

FOAM AND WOOD COMBO CORE

Post by wingworks »

ANY ONE TRIED WOOD /FOAM COMBO CORE?
HAVE SKIED ON 2 SETS -SO FAR POOR DAMPING BUT LIGHTWEIGHT
WONDER HOW LONG THEY WILL LAST
USING 15 LB/SQ FT SIGNFOAM VERT LAM WITH ALTERNAT FIR /ASH TRIAX BOTTOM CARBON STRIPS 45 DEG CARBON TOP ALONG WITH 45 DEG KEV----- SKI GOOD BUT NEED A LITTLE ROCKER TO KEEP UP WITH ANTIPISTES
OAC

Post by OAC »

I did one try. The project is closed. The foam I used was to week.
ImageImage

End of story!

But there might be other stuff that hold up better.
On thin I've been thinking about is to "wrap" the core with fiber..? I don't know.

Cheers
SRP

Post by SRP »

I was just looking at sign foam the other day and thinking I would give it a try in a pair. It would be great to here more about your lay-up and results. Maybe this should be in the design or materials forum.
Yuki_otoko

Post by Yuki_otoko »

I bought a 2mx1mx6mm sheet of Klegecell (click) once to try. Sadly I never did try it out.

It closed cell so wont absorb resin. Its hard to compress (about the same as a softer wood) and stands up well to snapping (needs to be bent over 90 degrees to snap).
hafte

Post by hafte »

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =foam+core

I think the problem here is poor conection to the side walls or side walls not wide enough. I cut up several skis a few years ago when I started this... project and found one that has an air core. Not kidding. It had a plastic bag the was wrapped in a FRP sleeve. The side walls were ~ 1/3 the total width of the ski and made from a poured plactic or something heat formed and then sandwiched like we do it.

I bought the skis at a swap 20 years ago. Don't remember how they skied. But I do remember thinking the drill bit for the bindings went in really easy. ;)

Hafte
wingworks

Post by wingworks »

SRP wrote:I was just looking at sign foam the other day and thinking I would give it a try in a pair. It would be great to here more about your lay-up and results. Maybe this should be in the design or materials forum.
I'LL SWITCH OVER TO THE DESIGN FORUM -----GOT HERE BY MISTAKE
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW YOUR CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS STUCK ON IF YOU TURN IT OFF IT WILL NOT SEEM LIKE YOU ARE SCREAMING AT US.

Isn't this better?
Its on the left hand side of the keyboard!