telemark pond skimming

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

wingworks

telemark pond skimming

Post by wingworks »

SPRING HAS SPRUNG-----plan to attend a few spring party days that host watercrossings

any one know best skis-----------big rocker---or just super reverse camber??

----technique to win wattercrossing events----
-------tele stance to keep in middle of balance?-----will splash from fwd boot drag on rear boot?

------ride back in alpine mode (powder platform )and hope to nail down proper forward /rear placement upon splashdown then lean forward to lessen tail drag?

or use combo of each?

any one been there or have tips?
originskis

Post by originskis »

i don't tele but i've done my fair share of pond skimming :D i've done it on super skinny, heavy GS race skis and on huge powder boards, of course the powder boards make it easier but just get more speed than you think, lean back a little and have fun!!!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

How was the pond skimming? Any pics?
wingworks

pond skimming

Post by wingworks »

the first people in line were crashing big and clammering out of the pool don't know exactly what did it ,but the pool liner was punctured and about 20 of us did not get our run in as it was dry on the first 25 feet and a few inches deep on the exit end along with a 5 foot bank

bummed didn't get a run in
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

point it and pray dude, and just hope you figure it out after a couple tries.

After going flawless after many pond skimming crossings, I finally got taste of the agony of defeat the last time I tried it, was a 130' long pond skim!!!

First attempt at about the halfway point i lost balance, "caught an edge" or something, did a huge 180 slash trying to recover, got the biggest wave of the day and soaked the entire left side, when I recovered I was standing there stopped, going "NO, NO, NO!!" as I sunk straight to the bottom which was about waist high.

Next attempt felt awesome, was nearing the end when board started hooking right, I corrected and over steered and just slammed hard and got submerged for the first time.

Anyway, that was all on a board, but after years I thought I had it dialed, but you're really at the mercy of what the water and your board/skis want to do to you at that moment, just try to figure out what speed is sufficient to get across but try not to come in too hot. My friend Karl is an expert skiier and his technique is to point it as fast as possible and sit back a little with skis about shoulder width apart, at about the halfway point he goes into a snowplow and soaks both sides of the crowd :).

and yea, this season i signed up, was trying to beer up to get the balls to do it, when they ended up cancelling the event because a couple people crashed hard and punctured the tarp underneath, all the water drained out :(. But whatever, I'll take one bad yr for endless seasons of what may very well be the longest pond skim in the world :).

anyone know of any that are longer than 130'?
Doug
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

130' is half the vert. of my local hill!! I've never seen anything over 30'.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Did I mention this place is under 200foot of vertical and like 8 trails? Haha most fun day
Doug
originskis

Post by originskis »

@knightsofnii- ive seen pics on the internet of HUGE ponds. all of them were in europe somewhere.

I'm doing pondskimming the next 2 weeks strait. should be fun!!!! the one i do at Big Sky is always giant and scary. 2 years ago it curved about 60 degreed. last year there were 2 ponds, one above and one below. you had to go on the first one, go off a 10' drop, hit the second one and ski across. Glen Plake was there and did a rodeo of the drop. ALWAYS FUN!!!!!!!