BITCHIN SKI JOBS

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

thefreshpimpofbigair

BITCHIN SKI JOBS

Post by thefreshpimpofbigair »

Who's got the best ski schedule????- or ski jobs?

I'll be working as a cat op for the resort again for 3 nites/week, and for our new cat skiing outfit another three nites!!!
That leaves everyday wide open.
oh yeah.

R

pumped for winter

here's a joke:

Q: how can you tell a ski school instructor?

A: dont worry..... he'll tell you.

(sorry to any instructors.)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Good one! and probably some truth to that...

While we're on the topic:

What's the first thing a snowboarders says when you meet him?

Woh, sorry dude.
EricW

Post by EricW »

I was a lifty on Snowmass back in the '99 - '00 season. It was a lot of fun.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Making skis will be my bitching ski job?

Most days I don't have to be in till 11-12 so I get morning pow face shots but I have to travel for 2 months out of the season, on and off. That really blows donkey sack.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Retired and need to find some snow in the next two weeks to keep the streak alive!
ra
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

skidesmond wrote:Good one! and probably some truth to that...

While we're on the topic:

What's the first thing a snowboarders says when you meet him?

Woh, sorry dude.
Ive said that a few times myself..
hafte

Post by hafte »

I do tech support on the ticketing system at my local mom and pop resort. pays for there seasons pass. 8)

Also played parking lot attendent in the past... until it became a PITA

Unfortunatley, I have to maintain the day job. :?

I get plenty of leave from work so I have managed 40-50 days a year and get to pick the best days to play. I tend to be pretty undependable 3-4 months of the year... everyone know when it snows Mark will not be in the office.

I can relate the ski instructor joke. I have a friend, I made some skis for, and he not only tells you he's an instructor but tries to tell you what you're doing wrong when you're around him. ;)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

hafte wrote:...
Unfortunatley, I have to maintain the day job. :?

I get plenty of leave from work so I have managed 40-50 days a year and get to pick the best days to play. I tend to be pretty undependable 3-4 months of the year... everyone know when it snows Mark will not be in the office.....
The day job sounds pretty bitchin.... 40-50 days of leave a year?? Where do I sign up?
hafte

Post by hafte »

The day job sounds pretty bitchin.... 40-50 days of leave a year?? Where do I sign up?
:D That 40 -50 ski days includes weekends, holidays, and everyother friday off. So that would be about 15-20 days of leave to take which is still pretty nice... considering the way they let me use it.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I'm a ski instructor. It's a fun job when you see a bunch of kids "get it". And of course you get the season pass. And occasionally some other ski areas will give a discount to you if you ask.

Probably the worst part of the job is when we're done teaching a bunch of us will take off and just rip up the slope and there's always 1 instructor feels he still needs to teach... Give it a rest!
powderho

Post by powderho »

I'm going on swing shift next Monday. 3:00-11:30. Almost perfect hours if you have to work 8+ hours a day. I was the only engineer at our place to volunteer for this shift. I signed up for it through April. I did it last winter as well. I got about 115-125 days in. Almost all of them half days, but that's all I really need. I'm still a ski-bum damn it!

That's funny about the ski instructor joke. I was just told that one last week. I think you could also substitute ski instructor with ski shop technician. Those guys know it all--and they will tell you.
maximegb5

Post by maximegb5 »

Ski instructing is nice. Particularily when half of Quebec's skis station have an agreement to let ski their ski instructors for free! And, with that money, I can build a couple pairs of skis, or at least try to do it, the fun being working on it 8)
And that joke is a classic, my father was telling it to me when he was teaching me to ski.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

self employed as a contractor. Have a few BIG jobs wrapping up in the next month and then I get most of the next 3 months off to ride. I live 20 minutes from Alpental and 25 minutes from the snow (mobile) park.
baumannuli

ski jobs

Post by baumannuli »

i just got back from stowe and left my son there to make huge piles of snow 4 days a week ...12 hr a shift...i'll let him buy my ticket this year...haha retired ashole' that i am.....can't wait for him to call and tell me they are open.....
ski the east
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

I am self employed as well(www.liquilock.com) and my business runs itself so I spend most of my time building and riding snowboards(at least this year)! It takes me about 1 to 1.5 hours to get to Vail, Breckenridge, Keystone, etc. I only go during the week=lots of runs, no traffic!