Skibuilding should be a controlled substance...

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Skibuilding should be a controlled substance...

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Its just like being addicted to drugs. If you can keep your shit together long enough eventually you will buy in bulk and sell off product just to pay for your fix.
I'm essentially doing what I said I never would. I will sell some skis to people who pay for them to be built. As we all know unless you are doing volume 250+pairs @ $600~ ea. you basically just get money back and dump it back into materials.
So that is what is happening. We have 5 orders. We have enough material for 10 pair. So maybe we each get a free pair?

Labor is so far out of the equation its ridiculous. We will use the waiver from 333skis and no liability insurance, no incorporation and no taxes, unless it grosses over 10K them we have a problem.

I'm totally addicted and spiraling downward. The funny thing is I got another junkie hooked and now we are partners in danger.

Thanks to everyone for all the free knowledge, if I ever actually make money at this I owe you some of it or just a bunch of beer.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Thats pretty much what we are doing. We are riding th experiment boards, and going to sell them as such if someone falls in love with them. we have 3 boards to finish of actual boards and two more potential orders we have to nail down

we dont charge for labor either, just materials and a little extra. We broke down the extra $ one a simple board once and we were making right around minimum wage.. between two of us, so not profitable at all

whats the waiver from 333skis?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

please post this waiver, that you speak of.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Awe, shit. I see no waiver. I'm thinking a general liability waiver tweeked could fit the bill if I have a lawyer look at it.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Before I give this to you I have to say it: consult with a lawyer, preferably one with experience setting up businesses and with liability issues, and setup a LLC or S-Corporation. At a minimum.

That said, here you go: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/bl ... ntract.pdf The contract I used for every Happy Monkey sold. Created for me by a lawyer as suggested above, tailored for the state of WA, in 2002. I’ve passed this to a few guys over the years, and now here it is for everyone. Obviously change the damn names before you use it, and remember: this is not legal advice from me to you, merely an example.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

An LLC is a disregarded entity and will not help in liability issues at all.

I just let everyone know that if they sue me I'll break their kneecaps.
carnold

Post by carnold »

He he.... Broken kneecaps to go with the broken leg! That's really tough. But it's making me smile.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

doughboyshredder wrote:An LLC is a disregarded entity and will not help in liability issues at all.

I just let everyone know that if they sue me I'll break their kneecaps.
I didn't think of that approach :D Thanks for the laugh.

HeadMonkey thanks for the example.
hafte

Post by hafte »

What about setting it up as a kit? I have been having the person interested come over and do the work of the layup. I supply the pre made parts, expertise and equipment. They do the layup and make the skis themselves.

This was a suggestion from my friend who used to make weed hopper planes. To avoid the liability they would sell a kit. The user was reasonable for putting it together... with some help from the makers, but ultimately it was the purchasers responsibility to assemble the product and fly at their own risk.

It’s also kind of fun getting the guy into the project makes them feel like the skis where theirs. Kind of gives the person the same feeling we get out of skiing our own gear.

Just a thought
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

hafte- that's an interesting idea. There's a skibuilder, 333, and I've seen his video clips of other people building skis in his trailer. Wonder if that's an angle he's using or if it it's like a class he gives. I know there's been a lot of discussion about 333 for other reasons.....

But in the end I think that won't prevent an aggressive lawyer IMO. Sucks that insurance is so expensive.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

SD - I can't speak for the US, but as you appreciate the crux of the problem is negligence. I suspect common sense would suggest that you document your process in detail, build in a QA regime - for both the materials you are using and the effect your process has on your materials. Pay particular attention to your epoxy - sample it regularly and subject it to testing. Test your product and then test it to destruction and then have your results verified. Don't hold out the idea that your ride will allow the rider to jump off the highest cliff edge and survive ...

In summary, common sense suggests that you should be able to show that nothing in your process allowed for the potential for failure... what do you think?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I'm in total agreement with what you say. I have all the confidence that I can build a safe ski. But it's only as safe as the person on it. Yes negligence is the crux of the problem... negligence of the consumer to use a product as it was designed to be used as well as the negligence of the company that produces a poor product. Ever read the warning label on a ladder or a cleaning product? It's laughable and sad at the same time that companies can't say "Use Common Sense when using this product".

Even of an insurance company was interested enough to see the process and quality controls in place I doubt it would lower the premiums by much.

In the last 20 years or so in this country people have cashed-in on crazy law suits and won even though they didn't use common sense. Ever hear of the old lady who spilled her coffee in her lap going through a McDonald drive thru? She sued McDonald's for millions because the hot coffee didn't have a warning label saying the coffee was hot. A father sued the makers of Cracker Jacks (caramel coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize...) because his kid didn't get a stupid plastic prize in his Cracker Jacks, claimed emotional distress. Drunk drivers (or family of drunk drivers) sue the bars/restaurants they were at for being over severed. Worse they've sued friends for being over served at house parties. Ski into a tree? Sue the ski resort, you'll get something out of it.

We get bombarded daily with tv ads for class action lawsuits about the side effects medicines/drugs... (well maybe they deserve some of it...) but it's the lawyers that win, not the victims in those cases.

Personal responsibility and common sense is a dieing trait, it's always some else's fault. Adding to the problem is many companies settle out of court because it's cheaper than fighting a case and a over burdened liberal court system. All this adds to the cost of business in this country.

Even if I had a great product and some one got injured using it (properly or not) I'd still have to hire a lawyer to defend myself.

Nothing get's me more worked up than seeing some one working the system for profit.

I like the DBS approach :D and a punch to the head for being stupid.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I feel like in my neck of the woods its not if you get injured its when. If you log that many days being risky and dropping cliffs and skiing trees fast in deep snow eventually you will hurt yourself it just depends on the severity of the injury and if you get lucky. I'm very lucky.
Usually it happens early or late in the season.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

MM, that's true, but you do it knowingly and accept the risk. No doubt it's a total rush and that's why we do it. It's the dumb asses that go off cliffs, ski off trails, or skis the trees, get hurt and it's someone else's fault.

yeah, I've been lucky too, 40+ years on skis and no serious injuries.

Insurance is one of those necessary evils.
baumannuli

knee caps

Post by baumannuli »

lets get back to breaking knee caps ..think there is any money in it..hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm just like everything else some one else got it covered......but i like it..
ski the east