Skibuilding should be a controlled substance...

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richuk

Post by Richuk »

So, assuming liability has been addressed satisfactorily ... then consideration needs to be given to 'point of difference'.

Here are a few issues to kick about:

'Hand Made', this premise is overplayed. Not that I wouldn't use it, but it needs to be focused and relevant to the issue of quality i.e. the materials are 'hand picked'.

'Eco', broadly speaking, there is little evidence that we are all eco-warriors ... is it easier for small builders to hold out wood sidewalls and veneers than the big companies. So is it easier to suggest that we make a more balance product?

'Custom', if you have the data, but then your going to expect a better price for your product. Here your not looking for volume.

'Innovation', it's certainly appears easier for small builders to innovate, but unless its protected, then it won't be new for long. But how much does that matter to the prospective purchaser?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

HHmmmm.... I think all of the above matter and it's what separates the small builders from the big time companies. Companies like K2 seem to have every segment of the market covered with their line of skis and boards, except racing which is covered by most of the other big companies like Volkl, Fischer, HEAD, and even HART which I thought disappeared.

From what I've seen in the ski industry as a consumer, the last big lasting innovation was the shaped (parabolic) ski. It revolutionized skiing. Most other innovations fade after a couple years, until a new one comes a long that makes the old one seem ancient... There's a fine line between innovation and gimmicks..... ie marketing (hole in the ski tip which made a come back, split tails, honeycomb, glowing silicone diodes, stabilizing bars (Salomon), "air channels" ...).

I've seen tons of innovation here... revolutionary even. Ski/board shapes I never would have thought of. Every sport and/or business needs to re-invent itself to keep the consumer coming back.

IMO 90% skiers are buying skis because they're cool looking, great graphics, swallowed the hype hook, line and sinker, or "gotta have it" . It's not really their fault.

But put a nice handmade ski in front of them that looks like no other and most are blown away.

Add unique to the list.
powderho

Post by powderho »

skidesmond wrote:
From what I've seen in the ski industry as a consumer, the last big lasting innovation was the shaped (parabolic) ski. It revolutionized skiing. Most other innovations fade after a couple years, until a new one comes a long that makes the old one seem ancient... There's a fine line between innovation and gimmicks..... ie marketing (hole in the ski tip which made a come back, split tails, honeycomb, glowing silicone diodes, stabilizing bars (Salomon), "air channels" ...).

Add unique to the list.
Weren't the first shaped skis out in the mid-90's? In my opinion that was just about the time skiing was dying. It wasn't the shape ski that started making it almost as cool as snowboarding again. Perhaps the twin-tip and Spatula played a part. Skis had become extremely stale. They were all almost the same. The industry was telling us to ski 204cm gs race skis in powder. Thank god for the 1080 and Mr. McConkey. RIP.

I do fully agree with your unique comment. I think that is the number one selling point for our potential clientele.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

snowboarding saved skiing.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

doughboyshredder wrote:snowboarding saved skiing.
This. I hear a lot of skiers (or people that call themselves skiers when they're like 5 days a year kinda people...) ripping on snowboarders, and it pisses me off. If it weren't for snowboarding skiing would be completely dead now. Now I've only snowboarded once, ~10 years ago, I'll probably never do it again, it just doesn't interest me. But I have the DEEPEST respect for snowboarding and snowboarders and I'm so glad we have you guys on the mountain.

Skiing was dorky, and now it's a badass sport again. But what's funny, is where as the young snowboarders used to be the tools on the mountain, the snowboarders as a whole have turned normal again, and the skiers are becoming the tools. It all goes in cycles, just like ski technology.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Snowboarding used to be filled with punks. Now I find it hilarious that it is so mainstream. We used to be banned from certain ski mountains and I can remember how much shit we would get from the ski patrol, especially for the snowboard leash. Not sure why this was such a big issue but now you don't ever get asked about it. Skiing has actually become cool enough I have considered giving it a try again.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I agree. Snowboarding revived ski areas. I see the same trend in snowboarding vs skiers too. See a lot of middle aged boarders now. The terrain parks also revived the industry. I can remember ski patrol pulling tickets if you got caught jumping off moguls. Now it's encouraged with table tops, rails, boxes, etc.

Take a look at vintage Warren Miller movies w/ guys like Glen Plake skiing on long skinnies in fresh deep powder. That took a lot of skill, strength, and large gonads ;) The only noticeable difference w/ skis back then were length and stiff vs soft.

Now only if lift ticket prices could revert back to the 80's.