Hello, I'm new to the forum....

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

IainUK

Hello, I'm new to the forum....

Post by IainUK »

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, my name is Iain and I live in the UK.
Just wanted to say hi really. I am very keen to get into building skis and snowboards but before I jump in with two feet I was hoping to explore ideas on here and make sure I can pull it off, especially over here in little old England.

Are there any fellow UK builders on here?

Anyway, a big hello to all from me!
Last edited by IainUK on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Hello from Sweden
Idris

Post by Idris »

Hi Iain,

I'm from the UK but now hide out in Chamonix.

On here you you will find others from the UK most prolific is RichUK

It is possible in the UK, in some ways easier than France.

If you use the search function you will find all you need to know about material suppliers and the hundred and one ways to build a pair of skis.

My only advice on your first ski or board is keep it simple, don't try re inventing the wheel straight off the bat - it invariably doesn't work .

Tom
White Thrash Wednesday

Post by White Thrash Wednesday »

Hej!
Hello from Sweden once again!
/Johan
Making skiing Green.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Hi Iain,

Is it snowing where you are :D

There are so many different ways of doing things, so make sure you read around to give yourself the best chance of sucess. OAC has a great journal, vacuum packed with a load of great information. I have a journal too - its a 'what I did' kinda thing, so it will outline all the tripping points.

I have materials, so if you decide you need materials for a pair, feel free to shout.

There's a lot of great stuff here - enjoy!
IainUK

Post by IainUK »

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

It is not snowing here in York at the moment, but it is arctic outside so maybe soon....

A couple of weeks ago we were skiing and boarding outside my office in the evening. It probably won't happen for another 20 years but it was the happiest I have ever been at work!

It is very encouraging reading your replies. I have been thinking these thoughts about building for a while but the idea of sourcing materials in the UK puts me off each time. It is really good to know that others in the UK are building (and succeeding, RichUK's skis look great!).

I am a believer that quality materials, time, care and patience can produce something far superior than a mass producing speed robot factory. I am looking forward to getting on the learning curve.

I have a good friend from work who is also very keen so I am not going it completely alone. I will be sure to start up a thread documenting our trials and tribulations.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Hey from the USA. Tons of information here. And like everyone else says, lots of ways to do the same thing. Keep it simple the first time around. Good Luck!
Joe90

Post by Joe90 »

Hi guys

Glad to hear there are more UK guys on the forum...I haven't checked it for a while.

Just moved to London a year later than expected and still looking for people in the vicinity who want to have a go at building skis. If anyone has a backgarden that would be even better as I'm not sure my girlfriend would appreciate me attempting to make a ski press in our one bedroomed flat!

David
proFmiKe5

Post by proFmiKe5 »

Hi,

I'm new here too. Aside from my skiing hobby, I do video blog in which I posts my video skiing show. Who knows someone will discover my talent.