Why did fontaine sell out and where is the replacement?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Why did fontaine sell out and where is the replacement?

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Seems as though they sold out to a larger manufacturer who wanted to attempt to corner the market.

How many base grinding manufactures are there out there currently, 4?

Looks like fontaine made a variety of smaller more home worthy type machines that even a small shop could use.

Hell, they are on small caster wheels.

Any one find a patent or any schematics on these type of machines?

Looks like they did it all.
Now, I'm not saying making base grinders is a good business plan but seems like the market could be bigger than one might think.

Especially with what is going on in the indie/home build market now.

US manufacturing is tough especially with a semi complicated piece of equipment but wintersteiger bought them out. They must have been viable and captured enough of the market share to be a pain in the butt.

any thoughts?
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

If you could build mostof them in house i bet you could easly make money if you didnt get raped on whatever you outsourced.

If i was going to build a few basegrinders, using referb motors, and barebones electronics i know i could build them for around 1-1.5k each, there isnt alot of parts there. two large main frame plates, a top radiused plate, a few rollers depending on design, rest is powdercoated sheet metal. a motor, simple electrics, though a fancy logo on it and your done.