Season snow?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

COsurfer

Season snow?

Post by COsurfer »

Here is a pic I took going over Loveland pass today. The snow wall on the right is probably 30 feet tall of pure snow. We have had amazing snow this year in Colorado. I think Vail got over 500". Curious how other parts of the country/world have fared in the snow department this season? Only 2 ski areas open still in Colorado.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The New England had a good season. Started off pretty slow but lots of natural snow came later. Not sure what total was for my area (western ma) but around 60-80 inches. Seems like we had a lot more local heavy snow storms where some areas would get 4-6 and 10 miles away get +20in. I know my little ski area was happy, didn't have to make much snow this year.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Tahoe has been great all year except for zero snow in January. Snowfall to date is 733 inches with plenty of that left on the ground. Squaw is staying open until the end of May although not many chairs will be spinning. There aren't enough people buying lift tickets.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

for austria this wasn't a good year...not much snow throughout the whole season and an early ending for some of the smaller areas.
my local mountain had to close it's park early april. usually park closing is about a month later.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

I second that new england had a great year. I was at sunday river last week and they still had 30+ trails. Sugarloaf still has over 100... now if i could only get some more time off
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Mammoth had 635" this season, they'll be open through June :) Haha I like Sunday River ^
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Dang Brazen, that's a heck of a drive from sd to mammoth. I used to live in PB and could never get myself to make that drive. Beautiful place to live though. I did go to big bear and had a few laughs. My favorite part is riding in the back of some truck to get to the lift! I did snowboard in the morning and make it back to surf sunset cliffs in the afternoon, a personal highlight in my life!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

O man yeah, it's more than a long drive, it's a AWFUL long drive :( . Actually takes the same time to fly from here...I just never go up for less than 3 days (so not often enough). I really try to stay out of Big Bear as much as possible, that place is like a bowling alley, and we're the pins. But at least the people there have bad attitudes. Sunset cliffs, awesome...that had to have been a milestone day :). Loveland Pass, wow...I hope you were on your way to go boarding.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

surfer-
i am amazed as well with the snowpack, hoping that the basin will stay open thru july! was out taking advantage of the first bluebird day in a week up here!
vail pass is starting to look like alaska, haha, everything but the biggest rocks are covered. we could not have lucked out more with RandD this season, looking at 8 months maybe????
hope the snow sticks around but im excited to build this summer!
powderho

Post by powderho »

Alta is reporting 702" right now with a couple more feet expected this weekend. Check out this link to their snowfall history: http://alta.com/pages/snowfallhistory.php Notice how it dumped almost everyday this month, and last month, and the month before that. Sure the rain in January sucked, but it was one of the best Novembers I can remember. I'd be a bit jealous of Tahoe, but I remember my friends biking for almost a month after we were skiing pow. Damn there's been a lot of powder skiing this year.
sammer

Post by sammer »

We got a fair amount of snow this year. 8)

This graph is from the river monitor station across the valley from the ski hill.
Its measures snow water but roughly translates 1mm snow water = 1cm snow.

It was looking pretty average but hasn't stopped (had 5 cm's on my car this morning).
Last year was pretty sad :(

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Idris

Post by Idris »

Worst snow season since records began in Chamonix - or so they say

Everywhere closed early - last year we could almost ski out to the road at this time of year - now you would end up walking to get back to mid mountain on the north facing slopes :(
tufty

Post by tufty »

Yeah, know where you're coming from. In Les Saisies, where I work, we had a *total* cumulative snowfall of 1m60 between November and April.

One metre 60 centimetres. Total. That's ~5'3", for those that work imperial measures. Five feet 3 inches over the entire season.

To put that into perspective, last year, which was by no means an exceptional year for snow (indeed, it was considered relatively "dry"), we had over 5m.

Still, driving to work was easy, so it can't be all bad, eh?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Here in SW MT winter is still on at least for a few more days. 6" fresh last night they were talking 2 feet at higher elevation.
Some are saying biggest snow in the local hills in 20 years if not more.
Skiing is awesome right now.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Winter just isn't letting go. 20" in the last three days with another foot expected tonight. I am putting my new touring setup to use as the local resorts are closed except for weekends. I might bust out the sled tomorrow for some quicker laps though.

Mammoth is staying open until the 4th of July and Alpine Meadows is reopening for the 4th. I imagine Squaw might do the same.

Endless Winter!