what else you build?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rightsideways

Post by rightsideways »

I used to brew... that was my last hobby. I brewed 110 gal. for my wedding three years ago using a 10 gal. system. i still have my 27 gal. conical fermenter.

at work i build off-white powders from scratch:

this last year i decided i needed more head room upstairs and ripped the roof off my house:

i don't have a more recent photo but it's closed in for the winter (roofed sided etc.). next week sheet rock goes up.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That is awesome, cute house too! I've got an old house too (built in 1930) and I've been dreaming of adding a floor. It's just a matter of finding the right timing (not to mention figuring out the money)
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

Like a few others here, I'm a beer brewer. Been a while since I've done much though! Progressed from kit level to full grain, was pretty in to it with my now brother in law. We lived together through uni and had 5 beers on tap, not a bad uni house :P He's working on kicking off a microbrewery now.

I'd like to restore a car one day, had an old mini for a while but sold it. Done a ton of work on cars in the past. I'm a quality engineer in an auto oem so technically my job is building cars to some extent. Usually that just means process analysis but it has, at times gone past when it got critical, meant physically building cars too.

I've just started getting in to photography as well.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Just finished this carbon fiber mandolin. Took me two months, it's entirely from scratch and of my own design. Used my CNC router to make plugs for the body out of MDF, from which I pulled fiberglass molds.

sammer

Post by sammer »

Holy shit twiz...
is there anything you can't do...
That's beautiful and awesome!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

He can't lick his own elbow !

... I know everyone who read this will try.... :D
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I bet he can lick his elbow while playing that thing. I don't know anything about Mandolins but that is a beauty.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Ha, thanks Sam!

I don't really know how to play mandolin, but I can play guitar half-way decently, it's just tuned differently (like a violin) so it's just a matter of learning where the notes/chords are. It sounds awesome!

The elbow-licking unfortunately is unsuccessful. I'll have to see what I can rig up to accomplish that.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

not yet done, i just clearcoated it. I tried to do an inkjet graphics transfer but ran out of ink and botched it. Gonna tweak the files and come up with cooler designs. Good way to upcycle crappy woodcores!! :).
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

now i'm trying to figure out what else to make, now that i have some help with technology.

Figured I'd make some widgets out of failed snowboard and surf components. Stay tuned!!! :).

... while I also make rad snowboards ;)
Doug
sammer

Post by sammer »

twizzstyle wrote: Image
There's a Tribble on the counter behind you! You should be over run with them by now. ;-)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

There are definitely some talented folk on here.
Pretty hard to go next after the house extension and a hand built Mandolin but anyway.
Build all sorts of things, cars, boat trailers etc but one of the more fun hobbies is building custom bikes.
Great fun riding from pub to pub along the river through the city.
[/img]ImageImage[/img]

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

The red one I built for my girlfriend. The green one I did for her brother (as I was drawing it up it somehow looked familiar, I didn't realize until it was finished that I had built the Orange County Choppers logo) the brown one is my daily basher, the white one was just some left over pieces I put together for some fun and the yellow one is the latest one.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Wow, those are GORGEOUS! Really outstanding work there, I'm impressed! Some very unique designs, that blue-ish one with the sort of ocean wave look is especially eye-catching. Awesome!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

sammer wrote: There's a Tribble on the counter behind you! You should be over run with them by now. ;-)

sam
Ha! Good old pirate kitty. Yar!

climberman

Post by climberman »

OMFG gav, they are insane. Great work.