what else you build?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

drill baby drill? kidding

i agree, seems to be a group of talented people here.

I am also interested in the photovoltaic asphalt. The BMW thing sounds like a good as well. i may have to google some peltier coolers now just out of curiosity and give it a whirl.

-Jacob
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I can't believe no one liked the beer :(

The surface is easy...I can't name it exactly in a public forum but it works by temp differential, weight displacement (friction) and solar. If we could coat 1/3rd of the highways in the US with it and just run taps off the roads...energy problem solved. It'll never happen. We could even offer to re-surface the roads for free, just let us tap it...I hate to be the dark futurist, but there's no way it can happen here.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

the germans will buy it and do it.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Oh, the beer had my attention, however the energy thing took over
Juskin

Post by Juskin »

The Germans will buy the asphalt photovoltaics AND the beer. Doneskies
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

if they buy my beer I'll keep making it, SO much easier than making good snowboards ;)
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

in reality, i just have the basic kit you can get from www.mrbeer.com

you cant really make beer worthy for public consumption with these kits, plus you're just mixing someone elses ingredients, but i've had limited success so far :)
Doug
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Despite what everyone says I like the search function on this forum. I tried to search for ‘shops.’ I am rearranging my shop and remember seeing a photo of someone’s tiny workspace but I found this thread instead. I may not have found what I was looking for but this is way better.

I am quite proficient at making beer and messes. Quite often I combine the two.

Since there seems to be somewhat of a beer/energy focus so far…. There are some really cool new energy saving innovations folks are incorporating in breweries these days. Several companies are using the biomass from spent grain to generate esters, biogas and electricity. I turn our spent grain into milk via a bovine intermediate.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Not many things better that a good day of powder skiing with friends then having that home brew to cap it off! One keg about down, one about to be tapped and one about to be brewed!
ra
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

rockaukum wrote:Not many things better that a good day of powder skiing with friends then having that home brew to cap it off! One keg about down, one about to be tapped and one about to be brewed!
ra
Agree 100%
slackercruster

Post by slackercruster »

Built it in the blizzard of '10 in my living room. Built a treadwall on the side of house for outside use.

I try to grow some of my food.

Most of the food you young guys buy in the store is bad. Look at the photo of a Green Giant red embalmed potato vs a home grown KB. Both stored in my root cellar for 6 months. Green Giants rots before it sprouts. They radiate or chem treat them to embalm them. Spend some time cooking healthy food instead of fondling your electronic devices in your sweaty little palms guys.

I make country wine, do some photography and tons of other stuff I don't have time for.

Taken with Nikon F / Hassleblad SWC / c 1970's Just getting back into it scanning tons of old negs.

Finished this in Jan except for the exterior paint.

It got up to 170 last week. I had to open the window to cool it off some....am sweating like hell now!

PS...had one guy step up to make my 24 - 32 skiboards to replace Brazen's / Brett's massive failure. Kinda sad the rest of you guys were too scared to take on the job. Hope it works out with him. If not...will be back to find another builder.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

slackercruster wrote:Kinda sad the rest of you guys were too scared to take on the job.
Seriously? Keep it up, you'll make lots of friends on here.

You're obviously very good with your hands, that sauna looks amazing (seriously). Make your own damn boards, it's not hard.

Those comments also don't belong in this thread.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I make gluten free bread.

I've also made my own cider before.

I like to take pictrawrz and I also build neat websites in my little free time.

http://www.volitionskico.com

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

is that your bike?

I'm not a motorcycle guy, at all... but I like the color. Matches my Lotus :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I also do some photography. I was working on a self publish photo book. The book contains BW and Color pics of the same subject. Tried to illustrate why/what makes a BW pic work over a color pic and vice versus. Then I got bit by the ski-building-bug. Needless to say the book is still unfinished.

sample pics:

favorite pic I took through the clear stained glass window from a castle in Miessen Germany.