Burton: "Buy Local" Really?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

COsurfer

Burton: "Buy Local" Really?

Post by COsurfer »

So every time I see the new Burton moto "buy local" it just pisses me off! Seriously, are American buyers that dumb? Coming from the company that produces no boards in America. Their pitch is to buy from Local ski/snowboard shops. It seriously just pisses me off and I figured this is a good place to vent!
On that same subject for anyone who is on facebook and friends with Outside magazine they just posted a question regarding Logik skis and if the hand crafted skis are really worth a premium. Give your two cents, I did!
http://www.facebook.com/outsidemagazine[/url]
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

O man, that just gives me a rash right between my cheeks! I HATE that people are such tools...btw CO, did you know that the Ski Logik stuff is all made in China?
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Are these worth $19,000!!!???

http://www.carradanskis.com/

"Technology: coriolis ...."

Really?
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

CO, did you know that the Ski Logik stuff is all made in China?
All I can say to that is Fu#$! They do a good job to make it look like a CO
manufactured product.

Are these worth $19,000!!!???
Kam, their website claimes you need an "invitation from carradan" to buy
their skis! hahaha what a joke.
G-man

Post by G-man »

This Carradan guy has been in courts all over the world for his various sales scams over the last 20 years, or so. There's lots of dirt on him if you do a search. He's sold a few skis for 20 grand, but never delivered a single pair. It's been awhile since I did the research, but I seem to remember that he's also sold a rare breed of cat for $7,000 (I think that's how much it was), but the cats don't really exist. He's pretty creative at BS, I must admit.

G-man
falls

Post by falls »

Ski logik are made in china, but don't bash them too much. From what I have read the wages and working conditions/benefits of working for them are superior to general conditions in chinese factories. I think they even get health insurance.

http://www.mrablog.com/mra-supporting-s ... practices/
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yea, scam artist. I did some digging on him last time somebody came across that website. But there's always a sucker that has to have the latest and greatest no matter the price.... like a Saudi prince :)
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Coriolis haha, I always kinda figured if I stood between counter rotating vortexes that I'd be heavier but fluffier. Awesome!

:D

Yeah, that's all true Falls...I just decry jobs being moved off-shore in this economy, and that they make such a big deal out of NOT making it clear that's what they do.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

you can knock ski logic I think there product sucks and the quality is mediocre at best from what I have seen. the skis are big mountain shapes but flex like a park jib. Totally basackwards IMO.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
falls

Post by falls »

I can see your point.
Locally made is always going to be best for local economy.
I think ski logik skis would be crazy expensive if you made them in the USA.

I have a friend whose sister works in Colorado and she said that the ski logik skis were really popular last season, but people were breaking them left right and centre.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

G-man -- your comments about the scams make me feel better about a decision I made over a month ago.

A writer from a reputable magazine (for wall street-type folks) wanted to interview me and get my professional opinion about the company and the skis. They wanted to write an article highlighting the skis. Before my phone interview, I studied the site and had a good look at the 'technology'. Finally I decided I couldn't do the interview. The writer called and I simply said that I couldn't offer anything useful. Besides, it wouldn't have been fair of me to judge the 'quality' of the work based on the info on the site.

I think I made a good choice. :)
OAC

Post by OAC »

The writer, was that mr. Carradan himself? :-)