Welding

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Welding

Post by skidesmond »

Let's just say for kicks I want to learn to weld to build a ski press or any one of the tools/projects that involve welding and ski building (edge bender, etc).

What type of welder would I use? Stick welding like I learned in 8th grade or some other kind? Does it depend on the type of metal and thickness of the metal?

Not that my to-do list isn't long enough already but just seems there are times it would be nice to know how to weld. I do know a few welders that could weld up large stuff for me like a ski press. But seems it would be a good thing to know how to do. Thanks
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Stick welding is unnecessary. The best welder for what we do is a lincoln 140
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 100670934

I use this welder for almost everything at work. I only bust out the big stick welder for really heavy duty jobs. I built my whole press with the 140. I bought 2 of them 7 years ago. The trigger on one of them broke a couple years ago, but other than that I haven't had any problems.
doughboyshredder

that's so fu cking annoying. Typed up a big response and when I post it's blank.
doughboyshredder

home depot lincoln 140 works great. Sorry can't post a link or my post will end up blank. I have been working mine to death for 7 years and it's been all good.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Welding is SO much fun!

I first learned about 10 years ago on a Crafstman flux-core welder. While it was cheap and easy, its hard to get really nice welds with flux-core, and then you have to spend a bunch of time breaking off the hard candy shell you get on the welds with a hammer. When I went from that to my current MIG welder my welds turned to artwork (in my mind anyways...). No candy shell, and virtually no slag.

I have a Hobart 140, and I love it to death.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200306073

You can still do flux core on that if you want, but you just need to go buy a tank and gas to do MIG, and that's well worth it I think.

When I bought my MIG I thought a long time about getting a TIG, but it really just came down to cost for me, they're expensive.

I know Doughboy is a pro at this stuff and he's probably the best person to get input from, but my vote would be save up and get a decent MIG, and you will love yourself for it! :D
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Cool thanks! Well it's a some day present to myself. My father-in-law has or had an old arc welder. Was never really keen about welding w/ a stick, of course that was so many years ago.

Hmm, probably need tools to cut metal too, since all my stuff is geared toward cutting and shaping wood.

(Ha, I can just see my wife rolling her eyes now..... )
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I worked at a Fence Co. (installing chain link fence) in my college days and I worked with welder who used an arc welder and they had a portable unit on a flat bed truck. My job was to put out the fires he would cause when welding in the field and hammering the slag off the welds. He loved welding, would weld anything, hardly every used a nut and bolt. He was happiest welding and filling the room w/ smoke while smoking cigs... but he died of lung cancer..... go figure.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

a small 110 mig will weld home stuff OK, mostly flux core but you can convert to mig with a gas tank.
If you ever want to weld AL you will want a 220 mig with a separate sheath and spool and gun to use the same machine.
To get good penetration on heavier gauge metal like we make presses with you will want a 220 mig or a stick. Stick welders are really easy to find at garage sales and cheap on craigslist, but are harder to learn and harder to weld in weird positions. Just get a mig.

Tig is great for dissimilar metals or thin or small stuff but quick and easy tacking for steel no bueno, and takes allot of practice and the material has to be clean. Mig just blasts through dirt and rust no prob.

Better get a plasma torch while your at it. Gonna need a bigger compressor also for the plasma. Go big or go home.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

i weld mostly with a traditional stick machine at work, however wish that i had a mig in my shop. cleaner welds and much easier to learn on, cleaning slag and grinding takes the majority of the time.

just weld a lot, all over everything, for like a week, until your eyes hurt.
then weld some press stuff or anything structural.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

strangesnowboarding wrote: just weld a lot, all over everything, for like a week, until your eyes hurt.
then weld some press stuff or anything structural.
Ha! Well said! A Harbor Freight auto-darkening helmet is money well-spent. Also don't weld for too long without covering up, you can get wicked weld burn (sunburn)
doughboyshredder

I was mistaken. I don't have the 140, I have the 3200 which can be ran with or without gas. It looks like the 140 is the replacement for the 3200 which is no longer made, and it can also be ran as mig or flux core. I did some quick research and the hobart 140 is comparable ratings wise.

I prefer flux core, mainly because I don't like having to mess with a bottle, and I do most of my welding outdoors where the wind can really mess with your gas delivery.

Also, flux core penetrates deeper, although mig does make for a cleaner weld with a lot less splatter.

Montucky, you'd be surprised at what I build with a little 110 welder. As long as your metal is clean, and you are plugged in to a good circuit you can safely weld 1/4" steel. You may want to make a couple passes, but you can definitely do it. I use that 3200 which is 110 power for almost everything I do. I weld gate hinges with it for all gates up to about 600 lbs. The hinges I use are 1" thick steel being welded on to 1/4" wall posts. Solid. Of course it took years of practice to learn how to get a good weld with a small machine. Clean steel. Beveled edges. Slow and steady consistent movement, with a nice arc.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Sure my 110 will weld qtr no prob but the duty cycle on those types og machines is usually rather limited for things like welding a press up and if you want to do any al you need more juice right?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Duty cycle!? Sounds like it might involves babies and diapers.... :(

Thankfully the internet to the rescue:
http://www.zena.net/htdocs/FAQ/dutycycle.shtml

Good info to know! Thanks.
doughboyshredder

MontuckyMadman wrote:Sure my 110 will weld qtr no prob but the duty cycle on those types og machines is usually rather limited for things like welding a press up and if you want to do any al you need more juice right?
For building a press duty cycle doesn't really come in to play. Doesn't come in to play for anything I do either, as the longest bead I have to lay is 2" or so, which takes less than a minute, and then setting up for the next weld takes another minute.
Aluminum is a whole different beast. I have never welded aluminum, and I don't plan on it.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yea, Seems if you're a professional welder it probably has more meaning and is more important. But if I decide to start welding it would be pretty short bursts of welding time.