Welding

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Im rather biased, however,

i suggest a tig, a 10-15 year old transformer type. My preferred color is blue

nothing you cant weld with it, and they cost as much as a newer small mig if you shop around long enough

i got a miller syncrowave 250 with a pile of consumables, roll around storage cabinet, and remote rheostat for about 1500 a few years ago.

-Jacob
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

I did all of the welding on my press with the quintessential 120V POS H****r F*****t flux core wire feeder.
My brother in law is a pro and he basically had me weld stuff together then do destructive tests to judge heat penetration and quality. A cheater bar welded to something will tell you pretty quick if you're doing it wrong :)
telehead

Post by telehead »

Dont't mess around with little machines. Go For the Miller 251 or I think Lincoln make a 250 ??? something. You will never regret spending the extra money. It will last your whole life, if you want to get rid of it you will get a good price. You can buy consumables at almost every welding shop, or online for sure. The 251 you can put a spoolgun on it, you can run flux core, innershield, and hard wire with gas. Very versital machine. Remember, you can always turn a bigger machine down, but you are limited with a small machine...Just thought I would put in my 2 cents. I have been in the welding / fabrication business for over 30 years, in case you care... Cheers :-)