Good mech e resource/text?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

collin

Good mech e resource/text?

Post by collin »

I've been looking around the internets for info on deriving beam stiffness/strength when comprised of different materials at different orientations. But I have found anything that makes me think I can do it correctly.

Any body know of anything? I'd prefer something online [and free], but I'm not totally against buying a good book. And the math doesn't scare me.
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
tonyt

Re: Good mech e resource/text?

Post by tonyt »

collin wrote: info on deriving beam stiffness/strength when comprised of different materials at different orientations
One of the suppliers of fabrics in the US uses this program to analyze its fabrics. It is very good and allows a whole bunch of different combinations of core and types of materials as well as calculating your own. In the simplest sense you can use it to make a comparison between several laminates and or thicknesses. It is a lot more difficult if you are trying to predict exactly how much deflection you will get with a certain layup but if you have an engineering background the results will make sense to you.

http://www.vectorply.com/lamdesign/vectorlam_sw.htm

The program is free, all you need to do is register to download it.

PS most of the triaxial fabric in the US comes from Vectorply.

I hope this is what you were looking for.