Best Season to the Worst Season

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dr. Delam

Best Season to the Worst Season

Post by Dr. Delam »

Last year was the best season I have seen in Tahoe. This year = the worst. We actually had more snow in August than we do now.

I have taken my camera out a total of zero times so no video yet this year. I got bored last night and put together a new edit of some old footage, reminiscing of the good old days when it snowed.

Enjoy

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice vid! Yea, were having a very bad season here also. Might have to put the bike rack back on the car ;(
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

I re-stacked wood, and vacumed / washed cars in the driveway in a t-shirt this afternoon... little warm for this time of year
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Came back from dinner a little while ago, guy was riding his motorcycle, in January! It was over 50f today. It was perfect spring skiing today but it's January and I want cold blowing snowy days and nights. If it was the end of march it would be perfect skiing weather.
TahoePowder

Post by TahoePowder »

Awesome video! Last year was one for the books, and so is this one. I'll go ahead and apologize for the minimal snow. My dad and I spent all summer working on our cabin (read: shack) at Donner to give it a face lift for this ski season. Also bought a Squaw pass in June to go with my Rose pass. Also got new skis (still working on building a pair). Also got shovel/beacon/probe to venture to new terrain I haven't skied.

So to counteract that Murphy, I've been doing things like washing my truck and building a shed...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

It's pretty sad that my home mountain - which isn't known for getting tons of snow - has the #4 deepest base in the US right now, according to this:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/deepest-s ... ica-63299/

Even if we've got crappy snow, I can't complain, since some of you guys don't even have that :( Here's hoping for a strong late winter!
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

the ski report around here was pretty happy to say today that sunday river had a 2 foot base.....

my local hill gunstock has a claimed 1 foot base, however i was there a few days ago and saw an awful lot of grass on the OPEN runs

edit:

heres a photo my brother took a week or so ago at gunstock...

-Jacob
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Looks very much like our local hill.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Hey we're #13.
Got up yesterday for a few laps. (Fernie alpine resort)
Found some not bad snow in the north facing trees.
There is zero snow in town. My lawn is bare.
Last year started out kinda like this here but we ended up with over 10m.

Still kinda average. Just haven't really gotten any new for quite a while.
This is the automated snow pillow data from the river forecast site on the ridge across from the ski hill (1966m)
The same ridge Fernie wilderness cat skiing uses.
Gotta give em a plug as I get up there 2 or 3 times a year 8)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I don't want to be "that guy" but uh... we just had a pretty good weekend in the mountains, I had two great days in a row skiing (other than the broken ski yesterday)... but the best is yet to come. Here is the forecast for the next couple of days...
Today... Snow showers. Snow accumulation of 5 to 10 inches. Afternoon pass temperatures in the lower 20s. West wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight... Snow. Snow accumulation of 6 to 12 inches. West wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph.

Wednesday... Snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Snow accumulation of 12 to 24 inches. Afternoon pass temperatures 13 to 19. East wind in the passes 10 to 20 mph.

Wednesday night... Snow. East wind in the passes 15 to 20 mph becoming variable around 10 mph after midnight.

Thursday... Snow. Snow level rising to near 1500 feet. Afternoon pass temperatures in the mid 20s. West wind in the passes around 10 mph.
I'm going up Thursday, it should be pretty nuts!

Of course down in Seattle they're talking about 6+ inches of snow as well :) My house is still covered in snow from the weekend, but now that I'm at work in Seattle its just wet. Tonight/tomorrow are looking to be interesting!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Good for you twizz! Our weather patterns are crap. Every time precip is forecast-ed it warms up just enough so it rains instead of all snow. Sucks. It s/b snowing now but it's raining again.
Buz

Post by Buz »

Hey Desmond, any snow on Greylock?
sammer

Post by sammer »

I don't want to rub it in either.

WE GOT 75cms OVERNIGHT.

It's been snowing a bit the last couple days
Got some fresh turns on fri/sat, most of it was skied out by sunday.
Woke up this morning it was -26c and pukin!
Was over my knees walking up my sidewalk when I got home from work tonight.
More in the forecast!

Booked a seat on a cat for this weekend!
Gotta get some binders on the fugly reverse/ reverse skis 8)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Nice!!!! I have to get out of San Diego :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Come on up!

My mountain has gotten 42" at the top in the last 48 hours. Tomorrow is going to be awesome!