Ski Chair

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Ski Chair

Post by skidesmond »

A fellow FOG made me a ski chair, traded a pair of skis for the chair and side table. Placed it right in front of the chimenea. Maybe break it in tonight.

So I just had to look at the ski construction. The skis are junior Atomic.

I tried to identify the materials. Here's my guess:

P-tex base
metal edges
I'm guessing another layer of p-tex. I tried to scrape at it. It's definitely not fiber glass or metal of any kind.
wood core
Fiber glass
topsheet

Lots of black stuff. Don't know if that's a type of epoxy or foam, probably foam.

Notice there are no sidewalls, just a cap construction. Also look at the wood core. Very rough looking, not a very even/smooth top or bottom.

Also look the ski to the right, the second layer of p-tex (whatever it is) doesn't sit evenly across the base.

Interesting stuff, Nice chair!

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

It has to be black pigmented epoxy. ALL cap is done that way, the epoxy fills in the lip like that. That mystery material looks to me like someone machined the cap form too big and had to make up height with something.of about .065-.080, not sure from the pic. Your skis were worth alot more than those chairs though!

And yeah, those cores are SHIT! Disgusting work, apparently they forgot the "r" in "Racecap"
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
OAC

Post by OAC »

I just did that, cut them i half, my old Head TR10. Looked the same. But I also broke them lengthwise, which was difficult. Pretty good construction work anyway. But I found no VDS! No wonder they didn't ski well... :D

Now I was rude, they were OK back then when they were new.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

There's a limit to the imprecision...that's why I'm in business :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
falls

Post by falls »

could they be foam injected?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
vinman

Post by vinman »

Foam injection was my thought as well.

My old rossignol 3Gs had that dark grey foam with some kind of metal wire in them.

I cut up several,old skis to make a chair and was surprised to see how thin the sidewalls were. They might have been 2-3mm at most.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
falls

Post by falls »

My old public enemies have a fair bit of topsheet damage now and you get a good look at the sidewall width. Pretty narrow. I guess wood is cheaper than plastic (?). Also how deep is it likely an edge strike will penetrate a ptex/abs sidewall? 2mm is probably a bit slim but maybe 12mm is over doing it?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

My buddy must have 75 pairs of skis in his shed. Most are brand new (old stock) never mounted. He got them from a ski shop who had tons of left over skis, just sitting there collecting dust.

I looked at some of the other skis he's cut up and the insides look similar as far as the wood core. Not nearly as clean and precise as many in the forum make.

He's got a pair of black Head skis (used) 203 or 207 cm, not sure of the length but told him he's got to mount some bindings on them and ski before them before they become a chair.
vinman

Post by vinman »

How old are the Head skis....not Head Standards are they? If so tell him not to cut those up, they could be worth something to someone, first metal laminate ski and all that....revolutionized ski construction.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Vinman wrote:How old are the Head skis....not Head Standards are they? If so tell him not to cut those up, they could be worth something to someone, first metal laminate ski and all that....revolutionized ski construction.
They might be. I'll ask.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Brazen wrote:.... Your skis were worth alot more than those chairs though!

And yeah, those cores are SHIT! Disgusting work, apparently they forgot the "r" in "Racecap"
Thanks Brazen, The skis I traded were the first ones I made that I thought skied really well. I had to start thinning out the quiver. And he was my first to "test subject" so I know they went to a good home.