Friend in the US :) / Mc Master

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ben_mtl

Friend in the US :) / Mc Master

Post by ben_mtl »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for someone in the US (preferably northern east coast) who could place an order at McMaster, get it delivered to his place and then ship it to me (either at home in Canada or at an adress I have in the US depending on the price).
It's not a big order, the thing is McMaster has changed their policy again and they won't let me order something from them even if I have it shipped in the US !!! They say since I'm a canadian customer (canadian credit card) and they know the final destination of the product is Canada they have some paperwork to do and the don't want to... yeah right, never heard of such BS but I can't argue with them.

So here I am, stuck with a product I can't find anywhere else in reasonable quantity for a reasonable price.

Please PM me if you don't mind helping me with that.

Thanks

Ben
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
sammer

Post by sammer »

I gave up on McMaster for exactly that reason, Canadian credit card, sorry no sale. It's strange, I guess they have enough customers in the US.
I have an address in the states as well. I feel your pain, there's a lot of good stuff all in one place.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

If you can't find someone on the east coast to do it, let me know. I'm on the west coast, but I order stuff from McMaster all the time.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

had the same issue. I argued and argued. they finally charged my card and shipped to a friend in the US. I think I spent 15 bucks on long distance phone charges, for my 30 dollar bladder connection parts. Good ol USA.

As a Canadian I pay way more for my materials than guys in the US. shipping/brokerage fees/taxes.

Its brutal.

At least we have nice wood ;)
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I have a friend who's doing an internship in California, he just placed the order for me (US credit card) ,with the destination adress being the warehouse at the border in VT where I usually have my stock shipped...
Order cancelled because the destination adress "has been linked to export activities"

WTF !?!???!?!?!!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Hmm ... just entered an order and provided an address in Iran. Seemed OK!
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

the online form lets you put anything in there!
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

then you think your shits coming and it just never shows up! cards don't get charged.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Check PM.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Looks like I got it to work... a bike shop at the border doesn't seem to be linked to export activities... even though the said shop ordered someting totally non-bike related...
oh well...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

And then Ben got stopped at border security...

"I swear I don't know where that hardware came from! Someone must have planted it!"
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Haha, good one !

1- it's legal to buy stuff in the US and take it back home to Canada (i'm almost 100% sure strip brushes are not a restricted item...)
2- it's the Canadian border... eh ! :)