moving west! any ski builders in / around summit county CO?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rightsideways

moving west! any ski builders in / around summit county CO?

Post by rightsideways »

Hey all,

I'm writing because in a few short months my wife and I will be heading west to Breckenridge CO for at least a year. We're selling our house and packing it up for a sweet change of pace. I'm pretty sure I have a boot fitting job lined up which I'm psyched about because it'll give me an opportunity to learn more about the skiing industry.

Unfortunately I won't be able to bring my ski building equipment out there until we find a house. even if we move to a place with a garage, the car / trailer setup we're taking just won't be able to haul it. I'm storing my equipment in NH until we find a place.

I would love to continue building skis though. I'm curious if anybody is in the area and would mind if I helped them build in exchange for a chance to use the shop and build my own from time to time. If there are any builders out there who are selling their boards I'd love to work as an intern or something. I really love this hobby, I have a lot to learn, and don't want to have to take too long a break!

Cheers folks. Either way I'll be checking out the forum to see what everybody's up to.

Andy (rightsideways)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Good luck out west. We skied Breck this past February. The place is awesome. I ran into a guy on Grace Skis there. I think they're based in Co.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Best of luck with the move out there. I lived in CO for 8 years. Great ski town, lots of life even in the off season. Brek was my least favorite of the summit county peeks, too hard to get from one side to the other, windy and too many "knuckle dragers" for me. ;-) I hear it has gotten better since I've moved away. I sure do miss CO, and you'll have a blast up in summit county for sure! Better than the flat-landers.

Let me know if you need help storing any of your ski building stuff until you get life squared away. especially templates that have waists smaller than 100mm... no need for them out there.
cheers!

p.s.
who is the boot fitting job with?
rightsideways

Post by rightsideways »

skimann20 wrote: Let me know if you need help storing any of your ski building stuff until you get life squared away. especially templates that have waists smaller than 100mm... no need for them out there.
cheers!

p.s.
who is the boot fitting job with?
Ha, I don't think i have any templates with waists smaller than 100 mm. Maybe one at 99... Thanks for the offer though. I have a storage trailer lined up in "the shire" at my parents' house.

the boot fitting job is with Surefoot. I just got confirmation that I have the job, which is nice. It's a pretty significant pay cut compared to the pharmaceutical industry, but... I understand that I will be skiing pretty much daily, which is a huge part of the reason I'm heading out there! So, I'm psyched about that.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

rightsideways wrote:
skimann20 wrote: ...the boot fitting job is with Surefoot. I just got confirmation that I have the job, which is nice...
A super company with a fantastic product, congrats.
My full custom Surefoot boots are the best ski equipement purchase I ever made.

-S