Fischer 207, Salomon Rocker and the K2 hellbent

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

endre

Fischer 207, Salomon Rocker and the K2 hellbent

Post by endre »

I'm down here at ISPO in Munich, reporting for Fri Flyt. We have posted some vids of some of the more spectacular stuff down here, unfortunately I speak norwegian, but the pictures are pretty informative I guess..

The Marker Duke is in there too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mwBaXYf5-o

Here is another one with the NTN, Black crows skis (french, italian built) and a new skipole and glove from leki:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqMHbikHFYI
G-man

Post by G-man »

endre,

Wowie-Zowie!! Spectacular is right. Really different stuff... like the ski with the tail-fin?? Even though I didn't understand a word you said, it was easy to tell that your review was really good... you have great camera presence. If you get a chance, I'd really be interested in hearing some of your (English) thoughts about the 'Rocker' tip and tail design. It's obviously a powder ski (I think?). Are the upward flairs on the lateral tips intended to encourage the tip to rise to the snow surface in a turn? Is the little tail-fin effective in powder?... seems too small to really have much effect. I guess it must be meant for deep, above tree-line powder because the little fin could take a real beating around trees and rocks, or on ice.

It's always fun to get a look at the latest and greatest. Thanks.

G-man
endre

Post by endre »

I imagine the fischer is going to be very hard to turn, billygoat and slide around with. The length, the pintail and the fin indicate a ski ment for straight lines. (which is cool to watch on film, not so fun to do all day).

I have big hopes for the Salomon Rocker, the sinus-shaped camber (rockered front, cambered back,) will give a ski with good floating abilities, and will still support you on hard landings, the back ski will maby not wash out as easily as on the pontoon.

The Hellbent don't need so much comment, it has got a very rockered back ski, this is a more allround version of the pontoon, crossing of the pontoon and the maidnAK. testing still remains..

looking forward to it!
Last edited by endre on Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plywood

Post by plywood »

super smooth videos!

the fischer ski is really sick! so obviously they took inspiration from surfboard design! i don`t thin that the fin makes sense - but the shape looks very interesting! on surfboards such a tail should create a stable plank if i remember right. i`d like to ski them for a testride!
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
davide

Post by davide »

Probably they have troubles while pressing the Fischer 207...

It is quite funny: the less it snows in the Alps, the more the companies are working to make powder only skis.
They make fun of skiers.
endre

Post by endre »

I talked to several people from Fischer about the 207, and they confirmed that it is a really difficult ski to produce. They told me it is going to be pretty expensive.
plywood

Post by plywood »

on the fischer homepage you also can read that every ski comes with a serial number, produced only in low quantities...which is kind of logical regarding a ski made for "straight line"ing :)

the thing that i doubt most about is the tip on the 207. if i saw this right the edges on the side are kind of bent upwards so that it creates a tip like a bow of a boat. as far as i can judge things i`d say that such a tip would cut the snow deeper than a normal tip. so it would create less boost. if you compare it with ships: there they make such tips to reduce the resistance of the water...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
mattym

Post by mattym »

yeh, there are some really cool skis coming out next year in terms of shape and design. Alot of companies opting for rockers, early rises, reverse camber etc. If you take a look at this link, it has a bunch of videos for most ski companies, just briefly showing the skis for next year. Unfortunately, I can't understand this one either. But just go down on the left and it lists most skis companies, u just click on them to watch their video.

http://skieur.com/index.php?action=TV&ido=24
mattym

Post by mattym »

oh and i forgot to add, I'm not sure if you have seen, but the rudder on the fischer ski is removable. So you can take it out while you ski groomers, then plug it back in for the pow!! How conveniant!?! Haha, good to see companies thinking outside the square
endre

Post by endre »

and the salomon rocker has got a huge buttplug too.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Great stuff endre! It's refreshing to see more companies pushing the design of their skis. The fischer boat tip design reminds me of an exaggerated version of the Dynaster Legends right? That ski seemed to ski well so maybe the Fischer's will too. A small, removable fin doesn't seem quite sturdy enough though to exert much force...but who knows. I really want to get on those Hellbents. I'm assuming it's meant for powder but I hear some of the K2 guys are riding those in the park. Pretty interesting.

That NTN binding looks too ridiculous for tele. Looks like it belongs in Iraq. I'd be awesome if it was a little sleeker but the idea is great.

Where's your ski display Endre?
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
endre

Post by endre »

Thanks man
I tried the NTN a month ago, and it's a great binding. After two rounds in the park I just got completely used to the a-bit-different feeling. I refer to telemarktips for the full review, no reason to write it all again. The best thing about it is that the system has lots of potential for developement into different directions in tele. (pure jib binding, a really small and simple touring binding, etc.) the NTN they have made now "has got it all", and will remain the biggest and most expensive one. look out for much sleeker NTN's in the future. (and the one they have now really feels lighter to ski than most 75mm)
Where's your ski display Endre?
wait and see ;) to be lauched next year..
G-man

Post by G-man »

endre wrote:
and the salomon rocker has got a huge buttplug too.
Okay, I've given this a lot of thought before asking a question that might make me look even more out of touch than usual... but, what in the heck is a 'buttplug' on a ski? :)

G-man
endre

Post by endre »

;)Okay, I've given this a lot of thought before asking a question that might make me look even more out of touch than usual... but, what in the heck is a 'buttplug' on a ski?
You'r not out of touch, G. You'r just very curious.

it has a huuuge splittail, so big that they have plugged it with a remeovable piece. Actually völkl has done the same thing with the sanouk, only this is not removeable.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Aaah-haah. Thanks endre.

G-man