ARRGH!!! Floods!!

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RoboGeek

ARRGH!!! Floods!!

Post by RoboGeek »

Winter storm hits and my shop floods.. I have a few hundred volts running around in my salty water here. Most PC and servers are up off the ground now but I'm getting a lot of damage to other stuff. If I disappear for a bit.. thats why..
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
G-man

Post by G-man »

RoboGeek,

Sorry to hear about your rising waters. I've been through a couple of devastating floods myself. Good luck in limiting the damages. Give us an update when you can.

G-man
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

well.. survived most of it.. the problem was snow was blocking the natural drainage path, and with the rain it had turned to ice and we couldn't break it up fast enough.

Other than stinky brown carpet that used to be blue, everything came out ok. few hundred dollars damage to books is about the worst of it in the shop. Tons of damage in my garage, but I haven't gotten out there to look at it

And of course insurance won't cover any of it.. :evil:
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Let me guess, State Farm?

Sorry to hear about the floods.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

nope.. Farmers.. but you have to buy fed flood insurance, and we can't because we aren't in a flood plain

It actually looks like most important stuff survived ok. I may have lost some 1950's popular electronics mags I had stored.. but thats about it
collin

Post by collin »

Here's a crazy thought.

Freeze the magazines, to prevent mold and wrinkling.

Then use a vacuum pump, with the vacuum chamber in the freezer, to sublimate the ice.

I think that's what's done by libraries when they have stuff they're trying to save.

Maybe an ammo can for the vacuum chamber. Cheap, easy to find, probably strong enough.
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Sorry to hear about your flood. I had a similar situation here, in that the roof leaked all over my brand new table saw and jointer. I found that Boeshield rust-off and t-9 works wonders.

-kelvin