Photos of our workshops

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

G-man

Photos of our workshops

Post by G-man »

It seems that, when looking at photos of builder's most recent ski creations, I often catch myself looking past the actual image of the new ski, into the space of the shop where the ski was born. I love workshops and I love tools. People go on house tours and on garden tours, but I've never heard of a 'workshop tour'... so, I'm starting one here. I was looking at www.happymonkeysnowboards.com earlier today, and was struck by how tidy Mike's shop was. It seems that my shop always looks like 100 elves worked the night shift, and when the sun came up, they immediately stopped what they were doing and walked out the door.

A dear friend of mine passed away about 15 years ago at 85 years old. He was an amazing guy... early days Indy 500 car designer, mechanic and racer. He was a certified steam engine engineer. He watched Lassen Peak erupt back in 1915 while riding with his dad in the car pictured below. Anyway, the shop that I now use was his when he was alive. Although, he was about 45 years older than I, we loved spending time together, especially in the shop. We built tons of things, including a VW that was steam powered and one that ran off of wood smoke. They're still sitting out back of the shop. My friend was a very active guy and died quite suddenly. After his death, his shop sat idle, just as he had left it on the last day he worked there, until about a year and a half ago when his wife heard that I was thinking about building skis. She said, "Bert would be so happy to know that you were doing something creative in his shop". So, here it is in all of it's glory. Sometimes when I run up against some problem in the shop that I just can't seem to find an answer for, I almost swear I here Berts voice saying, "Think boy, think"...like he so often did... and the answer then almost always comes. I hadn't planned on doing this post, so these photos are from awhile back.

C'mon... let's see some shop pics!

Last edited by G-man on Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

G-man: wow!!!! i like your shop. thanks for sharing. i'll post more photos of my "man-room" next week.

btw, the Kaweah is damp and it carves. but the tail is waaay too soft. i'll write more later. meeting powdercow and a few others at Snowbird tomorrow. spring skiing!!!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

i'm surprised that noone else has added to this thread -- don't you want to show off your skibuilding havens?

i'm just about finished 'cleaning up' my skibuilding room, so when it's nearly complete i'll give you a peek.

but for now, i have a couple (older) photos. when Kelvin and i work on skis we first jump into our flame-retardant red suits. why flame retardant? b/c we have a tendency of setting each other ablaze when working with tools. :D actually, there's no reason other than we got the suits for a good deal from the Helly Hansen outlet. so, what do you wear (in addition to safety glasses, a respirator, and proper ear protection) when working on skis?

Kelvin flexing a core in his red suit. notice the knot in the core. yes, the core is just one continuous piece of wood -- no lamination here.

me with the bangers in my red suit.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Man, how sweet to have all of that space. Must get get a bit chilly in the winter.

Is that a bottle of ROOT BEER on the band saw table?

G-man
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

haha we cant even buy root beer or dr. pepper here in aus lol i want some tho:P
SCHÜSS 2011
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

there are two kinds of people in the world: those who park their cars in the garage and those who build skis.

finally finished the details of my space and cleaned it up. here's where i relax:

hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

very nice gentlemen, wish i had that much space. real sweet tools also.
BK that must be the grizzly cabnet saw you mentioned before, they seem to make a nice tool for the money, i bought a 14" ultimate bandsaw with an extension block kit, i am very impressed with it so far.

i would snap some pictures of my shop but i lost it under a pile of beer cans while building my last two boards and it may take me a while to find it. right now i'm about to start a deep cleaning and reorganization, seems
i don't like to put my tools after i am done with them :) it basically consists of a single car garage and a workshop in my basement. not near enough room but with with a little bit of moving stuff around it works.
when i'm done cleaning i'll post some photos. once again nice shops.

jason
G-man

Post by G-man »

Great space bigKam... nice shiny floors... even looks like you have a sink. Nice bike, too. Skis and bikes... we're so lucky to have lives that allow us to enjoy such great toys.

G-man
Lennard

Post by Lennard »

I'm jealous, I got very little space in my Workshop.

I'm sorry for the low quality photos, but the light makes taking a picture difficult and it was just the cam from a mobile phone.
Baumnog

Post by Baumnog »

I am jealous of the workshops you guys have. Someday I may be able to get to that level. But I am very pleased being able to have a garage to call my own. I now have my cave.

With the smaller space and still wanting to park my car in the garage, I need to figure good ways to organize and store stuff. After I get my press built I think I will suspend it from the ceiling with straps and pullies.
endre

Post by endre »

I had come to a point wehere I realised that to be in a place you thrive, doing what you love, is the most important factor of being happy. So two weeks ago, after 6 years in Oslo, I baught a farm in the mountains:

the factory:

inside:

taking over the 22nd. of October, this is going to be a great winter.
M.F

farm

Post by M.F »

where is the farm located??
Martin
plywood

Re: farm

Post by plywood »

beautiful location you got, endre! and lots of space to keep some troll slave factory workers ;)

but i don`t think i would lock myself into those buildings for skibuilding - i`d sit all the day long in front of the houses and admire the landscape ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
endre

Post by endre »

:) yes that is actualy a real concern plywood, if we are not out skiing ..(yesterday they had some cm of freshies up there)

M.F wrote:where is the farm located??
Lønset ved Oppdal
plywood

Post by plywood »

it looks also pretty outlying. an ideal refuge for some undisturbed top secret skidevelopments! i could definately live there too :D

the pics just strenghten my wish to travel to norway ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!