Duckfooted binding mount

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Skierguy

Duckfooted binding mount

Post by Skierguy »

I was reading an article on the hendryxskis web page. (Entry 2006-07-26 Duckstance rules! If you have tried it, you’ll never go back! Ask Seth Morrison!) and was intrigued.

http://www.hendryxskis.se/home.htm

I guess my question is has anyone set up their bindings duckfooted? (Alpine or Tele?) It seems to make a lot of sense and something I plan on trying as soon as we get a set of skis pressed, but I am also looking for other’s experiences. It may be like Shimano bio pace chain rings, seemed like a good idea at the time but, did not seem to stand the test of time. Then again it could be another revolution…
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
endre

Post by endre »

I am not going to argue if it works or not, because I have never tried it.
-Still Hendrik leaves me with no choice here, his claims provoke me.
I was reading an article on the hendryxskis web page. (Entry 2006-07-26 Duckstance rules! If you have tried it, you’ll never go back! Ask Seth Morrison!) and was intrigued.
Someone took Hendrik on his word and actually asked Seth himself on K2's own forum, (where he is nicknamed Sid).

Here the question and sid's answer:

Base-man:
"there's a debate going on on the norwegian ski forum at friflyt.no about duckstance on skis..
it is being claimed that Seth M. actually mount his bindings this way. would be great if he/you(!) could confirm or not, and if yes, give your opinions on the subject and share the pros and cons"

Sid:
"No I have never done that since I don't have skis fat enough to try this. I have heard of a few people doing this, but don't know the results."

Here is the link to the K2 message boards:

www.k2skis.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID ... B1CFE38A7C}

I have no idea why Hendrik is writing such bullshit when he knows that it is not true, it is not like he has much to earn on this lie. This is not an attack on the idea of duckstance mounting on skis, it may very well work great, i don't know... I just don't like the guys methods.
plywood

Re: Duckfooted binding mount

Post by plywood »

firstof all: i just visited the hendryxskis-page...and dude, these skis are so sick! i just sat in front of my pc and admired the cool grafics. as i recollected i got aware of the dimensions of these skis - just awesome!

but now back to duckstance.
as i read your post i was like "uh...well...didn`t i thought about using duckstance once???" then i became serious doubts about myself because i still have no idea why i didn`t use duckstance on my skis up to now. so i`m still wondering why i forgot to use it :D

anyway. also to me it seems to make sense, hendryxskis explained the main reasons: it`s a more natural stance. i also thought about using it because i`m standing duckstance on my snowboards.
the last thing i did, was thinking about how much duckstance to use. there i didn`t come up with a solution that really satisfied me. on the snowboard i have -6° in the back and 18° in front. then i measured the angle between my feets as i stood normally there: 24°. so all in all 24 seems to be my number ;) but 12 degrees on each side are really diagonal, so for me it had to be under 12 degree. maybe 6 on each side or so... but regarding the pictures on hendryxskis he uses quite a big angle?!

but then i somehow stopped my thoughts and focused on getting my skis pressed, and when they were pressed i was so excited about it that i forgot to mount the bindings with duckstance.

an other thing to consider would be the stance of your foot in the skiboot. are the foots there really at "0°"? furthermore i think duckstance works only for alpineskis. i suppose that with a telebinding it could get really weird because if you bend the knes there, they would get bent "outwards". or in other words: if you did a teleturn, the axis of your legs is somewhat parallel - then the inner ski with the bent foot would be forced to point inwards...

dude! i need to build some more skis! got to try this out! immediately! shame on you, you woke a sleeping giant by asking such questions!

;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
mattym

Post by mattym »

Wow, its been too long since posting on here.

The duckfoot stance is a debatable issue for sure. If any of you have seen the Volkl Sanouk, they have a diagram on the top sheet for you to use to mount them duckfoot - like different angles etc. As plywood kind of mentioned, the idea is it is supposed to be more natural. If you sit on a wall with your feet dangling, they are always duckfooted to some extent.

Personally I have never tried it, but think it would be kind of fun to try in powder. I can't begin to imagine trying ride, say, halfpipe with a duckfooted stance, i think there is some element of edge control that would be lost, but may not be needed for pow!!